[Timothy's Team] Thanksgiving update for Timothy's Law - Giving thanks for all we've achieved

Bryan O'Malley bomalley at mhanys.org
Wed Nov 26 12:13:09 EST 2003

Untitled Document        As we prepare for Thanksgiving, the Timothy's Law
Coalition would like to take a few moments to reflect on this past year and
recount all of the things we have to be thankful for.  This past year, we
have been able to move the bill further than ever, picking up 33 co-sponsors
in the Senate.  This has been largely due to two reasons.  The tireless
efforts of the O'Clair family; who have sacrificed tremendously over the
past year, traveling throughout the state to tell their story to anyone that
will listen, helping those who find themselves in similar situations and
cannot see a way out, and basically doing whatever they need to do in order
to ensure that no other families have to live with the tragedy that befell
them.
        The other primary reason that this movement has spurred such great
success this year is because of you and your efforts.  Supporters such as
yourself have found a new dedication to this issue, and are taking to the
streets, the television networks, local radio stations, and your local
newspaper outlets to spread the word about Timothy's Law.  You have made
your voice heard in the community, demanding that your Senator "Pass
Timothy's Law Now!" Basically, you have built and maintained the Timothy's
Law movement.
        While we have yet to achieve our goal of ending the discrimination
faced by those living with mental illness or chemical dependency, we have
raised the level of awareness to the issue, and we have created a
groundswell that will translate into success.  We merely have to maintain
the pressure, and let our Senators know that we will not go away until they
have done their job.  Currently, we in TLC are planning our strategy for the
upcoming year here in Albany, and I have heard from many of you that you too
are in the planning stages of events throughout the state in your own cities
and towns.  Ultimately, this is the reason we have proven so successful.
This is no longer an effort driven by a few paid professionals.  This is now
an effort that is driven by the folks out in the community.  You have taken
control of this campaign and are turning it into your own effort.  You are
planning the events, we are merely publicizing them.  This momentum has
carried all of us, and it will ultimately carry Timothy's Law to the
Governor's desk for his signature.
        This Thanksgiving, we are also thankful for all of the families who
have come forward to tell their story.  Since the O'Clair's have come
forward, so many of you have joined them to share with the community your
own fights.  You have courageously stood up and told your stories,
highlighting the importance of Timothy's Law, and the tragedy and hardship
that the current discriminatory system inflicts upon families.  You are the
real heroes of this fight, and you deserve special recognition for your
efforts.

    A few quick notes about two current activities:
  a.. The Mental Health Educational Seminar originally planned for November
13, has been rescheduled for December 11 at 7:00 p.m.  This event had to be
cancelled the first time around due to a major storm in the Syracuse/Phoenix
area that led to whiteout conditions, power outages, and many accidents due
to high wind.  The rescheduled event will again take place at John C.
Birdlebough High School  in Phoenix, NY.  Topics of discussion for the
evening will be mental health awareness, Timothy's Law, depression, eating
disorders, and other relevant fields.  Several speakers are slated for the
event, including Tom and Donna O'Clair and Miss New York State Jessica
Lynch.  For more information about this event or directions, please contact
Ophelia’s Place at 315-451-5544 (daytime), or Debra Graham at 315-695-2201
(evening).
  b.. If you have not yet sent in your petition supporting Timothy's Law,
please take a few minutes now to do so.  A copy of the petition is attached
to this e-mail.  Petitions will be gathered and delivered to Senate Majority
Leader Joseph Bruno sometime early next year.  We want to have as many as we
ca, to drive home the widespread support for this issue.
Thanks to all of you for everything, and Happy Thanksgiving.

      And as always, your help in spreading the word about Timothy's Law is
greatly appreciated.  By sending this e-mail onto your friends, you can help
this movement grow.

      Refer A Friend
      Friend's Name:
      Friend's Email: