[Timothy's Team] Timothy's Law Update 11/14/2003

Bryan O'Malley bomalley at mhanys.org
Fri Nov 14 11:48:32 EST 2003

Untitled DocumentIt has been another big week for Timothy's Law.  Last
Wednesday, NYC Councilman David Weprin introduced a resolution in front of
the NYC Council calling on the NYS Senate to pass Timothy's Law.  That was
followed this Tuesday by an enormously successful event in Buffalo, which
attracted about 300 people.  This growing tide of support is proof that the
longer the Senate drags the fight for Timothy's Law out, the stronger we
become.

Unfortunately, weather was not so kind to those who worked so hard to
organize the mental health awareness meeting in Phoenix on Thursday.  Snow,
high winds and power outages forced the cancellation of that event.  I doubt
that ever is an issue in the other Phoenix.  When we know more about its
rescheduled date, we will alert you.

Supporters of Timothy's Law are making an unprecedented effort to pass this
legislation.  Never before have we seen such tireless advocacy on the part
of so many.  In June, when the Senate recessed for the year, they expected
this issue to go away until January, when they reconvened.  What they did
not expect was that you would not let it go away.  They certainly did not
expect that by going back to their district without passing this vital
legislation you would be energized that much more.  But you have proven them
wrong.  You have created a strong presence in Senate districts through the
state.  Senators from Long Island to Buffalo, and all points in between,
have heard from their constituents about the need for Timothy's Law.  They
have had to dodge questions time and again about why Timothy's Law has not
been passed.  They are feeling the pressure, and they want it to stop.

Which means just one thing.  Our actions have been working.  Thanks to your
efforts throughout the state, Senators are listening.  Now, as we enter
winter and brace for the coming cold, we need to ensure that the Senators
continue to feel the heat.  We will continue to fight, and if need be, we
will hold them accountable next year at the polls.

The Timothy's Law Campaign is currently collecting petitions for Timothy's
Law.  A copy of the petition is attached.  We are hoping to deliver the
petitions to Senator Bruno the next time that the Senate is in Session,
which remains in limbo at this point.  Please take two minutes to fill out
the petition and send it on to friends, coworkers and family.  The more we
are able to gather, the greater the effect will be when they are received by
the Senate.  These petitions should also be available on the Timothy's Law
website soon.  You may find them there by visiting the site at
www.timothyslaw.org.

Meanwhile, please review the attached resolution.  Contact your County
Legislator or Town Councilman and ask them to introduce and pass a similar
measure in your town.  If they agree, let us know, and we can help you
publicize it.  We will also keep track of all the resolutions so that we can
bring them to the Senate to show them the broad statewide support in a
different manner.

Thanks, and as always, keep up the fight and help spread the word.  You can
use the form below to send your friends an invitation to join Timothy's
Team, helping to grow the movement to end discrimination against individuals
living with mental illness.

      Refer A Friend
      Friend's Name:
      Friend's Email: