[Timothy's Team] Timothy's Team Update - NYS SENATE PASSES TIMOTHY'S LAW!!

Michael Seereiter mseereiter at mhanys.org
Fri Sep 15 18:28:23 EDT 2006

NYS SENATE PASSES TIMOTHY'S LAW 55-0!!  In what is truly a landmark event,
members of the NYS Senate unanimously passed the agreed upon version of
Timothy's Law today.  Tom O'Clair was joined by the slew of advocates from
Albany who have worked toward passage of parity legislation, but also by
individual advocates from Long Island, Binghamton, Syracuse and other areas
throughout the state.

Beginning a little after 4:00 p.m., Timothy's Law (S.8482) was brought to
the floor of the Senate for a vote.  With absolutely no debate, Senators
rose to explain their votes in support of the measure.

Senate Majority Leader Bruno (R-Brunswick) began by talking about how
overdue this legislation is, and that while he is unsure about how the
Governor will act when the bill arrives at his desk for consideration, he
sincerely hopes the Governor will sign the bill into law.  Senator Bruno
recognized the hard work of Senators Libous, Morahan, and Duane, and the
advocacy of Tom O'Clair and other Timothy's Law supporters gathered in the
Senate gallery.  Bruno also discussed how this day would not have been
possible without some compromise on the part of everyone involved.

Senator Thomas Libous (R-Binghamton), the prime sponsor of this legislation
in the Senate, then rose to tell part of Timothy's story and how the work
toward this day had been a long, hard road filled with plenty of difficulty
and disagreements.  Lastly, Senator Libous defended Timothy's Law against
the claims about excessive cost, explaining that the real "cost" was that
which Timothy and others have paid, with their lives.

Senate Mental Hygiene Chair Thomas Morahan (R-New City) then rose to speak
on the bill, followed by Senator Joseph Robach (R-Greece) and Senator John
DeFrancisco (R- Syracuse).

Then, Senator Thomas Duane (D - Chelsea), a long-time supporter of mental
health and addiction treatment parity legislation, and a sponsor of similar
legislation to that which passed, rose to say that few moments would compare
to today's passage of Timothy's Law in his Senate career.  Senate Deputy
Minority Leader Eric Schneiderman (D - Manhattan) then spoke and reminded
Senators and guests of the last time he had risen to speak on Timothy's Law
a few years before, when he had turned to the O'Clair family and told them,
"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm so very sorry" that the Senate was not taking
action on Timothy's Law.  Today, Senator Schneiderman turned to Tom and
other advocates to say, "Thank you, thank you, thank you" for your unending
advocacy.

Senator Frank Padavan (R - Queens), a former Senate Mental Hygiene Committee
Chair rose to speak on the bill, noting that the last time the Senate had
taking action to address the availability of mental health services was in
1977 when it had passed legislation to mandate that insurance plans make
mental health services available to those who wanted to purchase such
coverage.  He added that he believed that Timothy's Law makes good business
sense and will help employers curb the costs of untreated mental illness in
their employees.

Senator Betty Little (R - Queensbury) then spoke on the bill, followed by
Senator

Ruben Diaz, Sr. (D - Bronx), Senator Liz Krueger (D - Manhattan), Senator
Nick Spano (R - Yonkers), Senator Carl Marcellino (R - Syosset), Senator
George Maziarz (R - Newfane), Senator Martin Connor (D - Brooklyn), and
Senator Michael Nozzolio (R - Seneca Falls).

The bill will be delivered to the Assembly, where all indications are that
they will take up this measure when they return at a date to be announced
later.

Following below is the Senate's press release on the passage of Timothy's
Law.

News from the Senate Republican Majority, Senator Joseph L. Bruno, Majority
Leader