[Timothy's Team] Timothy's Team Update - FourthAnnual Long Island "Walk for Mental Health"

Michael Seereiter mseereiter at mhanys.org
Tue Sep 6 11:02:56 EDT 2005

Dear Timothy's Law Supporters,

We hope that this update finds you well, for it has been several months
since the most recent Timothy's Team update, as things have slowed over
these past summer months.  However, as summer turns into fall, Timothy's Law
related activities are being planned for the remainder of the year and into
next year, including the following event.

Coming up on September 25th is the Fourth Annual "Long Island Festival Walk
for Mental Health."  This is truly a one of a kind event that draws
thousands of Timothy's Law supporters, community members, mental health
organizations, professional associations, parent groups, individuals and
families who walk to raise awareness of mental illness and the consequences
of its stigma.  Last year's event included 2500 people and walk organizers
are expecting that number to significantly increase this year.

The Master of Ceremonies will be Ed Lowe, who currently writes for the Long
Island Press after many years as a Newsday columnist with "a common-sense
approach to life."

Guest speakers include our own, Tom O'Clair, who will speak about the
efforts of the Timothy's Law Campaign to enact the legislation named in
memory of his 12-year-old son, who took his own life four years ago.  The
Honorable Sol Wachtler, former Chief Judge of the State of New York and the
Court of Appeals, also will address participants in the Walk.  Judge
Wachtler has had his own struggles with mental illness and knows very well
the stigma associated with it.

In addition, Acting-Governor Richard J. Codey of New Jersey, a well-known
champion of the fight against the stigma of mental illness, has been invited
to address the Walkers.  Mr. Codey's first official act was to establish the
Governor's Task Force on Mental Health which reports to him on the direction
New Jersey should take in the quality of mental health services.

The Walk will take place in Huntington, NY, with participants gathering at
the Huntington Post Office on Gerard Street by 12:00 p.m. on September 25th.
At 1:00 p.m., participants will proceed from the Post Office to Huntington's
Heckscher Park to hear from the guest speakers.

Additional information can be obtained by contacting Marie O'Donnell at
(631) 434-9277, ext. 337.

Please help make the Fourth Annual "Long Island Festival Walk for Mental
Health" the most successful ever.  Remember, we can't make Timothy's Law a
reality without you.  We look forward to seeing you there!