[Timothy's Team] Next Week is Timothy's Birthday - Help Raise Awareness for Timothy's Law

Michael Seereiter mseereiter at mhanys.org
Fri Apr 29 14:16:06 EDT 2005

May 5th marks what would have been Timothy O'Clair's 17th birthday.  Since
Timothy's suicide four years ago, we have had great success in advancing the
legislation named in his memory that would end the discriminatory insurance
policies that contributed to his death and continue to place undue hardship
on families throughout our state.

As Timothy's birthday approaches, we are working feverishly to organize
several regional events, throughout the state, that would serve to
memorialize Timothy on his birthday, next week.  These events would also
help raise public awareness, via the media, of the need to end disparate
treatment of individuals with mental health and addiction needs in insurance
policies through passage of Timothy's Law.  Timothy's father, Tom O'Clair,
will take part in such an event at the steps of the NYS Capitol in Albany,
which we hope will be replicated in communities throughout the state.

Given the short timeframe, we've planned these regional events to be easy to
organize.  We have had Timothy's Law balloons created and can make them
available to any region that would like to hold an event (which must then be
filled with helium), on which Timothy's Law supporters can write 'Messages
to Timothy,' which will then be released.  In addition to supplying the
balloons, we can supply Timothy's Law button and we will work to get members
of the local press to attend each regional event.

HOW CAN YOU HELP?

We need someone to help organize this event in your region (find a location,
secure a permit if necessary) and get the word out as far and wide as
possible.  Members of the Timothy's Law Campaign in Albany are ready to help
you coordinate and publicize your local event.

Would you be willing to organize a 'Messages to Timothy' event on May 5th in
your area?  It's really quite easy.

 If so, please contact Michael Seereiter, at the Mental Health Association
in New York State at  <mailto:mseereiter at mhanys.org> mseereiter at mhanys.org
or 518-434-0439 x21.

Working together, we are sure to see Timothy's Law become just that this
year - a law!

If you know someone who you think might want to join
Timothy's Team for periodic e-mail updates on Timothy's
Law, direct them to the newly designed Timothy's Law
website at  <http://www.timothyslaw.org> www.timothyslaw.org.