[Timothy's Team] "Who's ready for a Walk?"

Bryan O'Malley bomalley at mhanys.org
Mon Nov 15 12:40:20 EST 2004

Alexandra Zimmerman and supporters of Timothy's Law will approach the
halfway point of their walk to Albany tonight, having started mile 42 of the
122 mile walk earlier today.  For those of you who have missed it, Alexandra
started her journey on Saturday, at Warwick H.S. in Orange County.  Ali made
some brief remarks to inform those gathered as to why she was walking, and
to thank the parents of Robin Desrats, who have been so helpful in helping
her plan the event, and without whose permission and grace she could not
have moved forward.  She finished her remarks in the incredibly humble
manner in which she has taken on this entire task, by asking, "Who's ready
for a walk?"

Ali has also been posting her thoughts about each day on the Timothy's Law
message board.  Here are some of her own words, as printed on the Timothy's
Law massage board at www.timothyslaw.org http://www.timothyslaw.org.

"At the kick-off yesterday, The O'Clair family, the Desrats family, and my
family, the Zimmerman family, released balloons. Each bunch had one purple
balloon representing Timothy, a blue balloon representing Robin, a purple
balloon representing hope for those with mental illnesses and a green
balloon representing a livable cure for mental illnesses. It is important
that we continue to understand mental illness is an illness just like any
other - we should continue to have hope the stigma will be lifted and that a
mental illness is NOT a death sentence.  With proper treatment, we can treat
a mental illness just the same as a physical illness. These balloons, which
were filled with helium, and hope symbolically, were released over Warwick
Valley High School- they will not stay there, however, and eventually, the
hope will be spread across our state, and the whole world. The hope will be
there in the sky, ready to be called upon by anyone who may need it. So,
next time you need a little extra hope, just look upward- it will be there
for you to latch onto, whenever, and wherever you may need it."

Ali will continue to publish little bits about each day, so be sure to keep
up with her as she moves along towards Albany.  One woman has already
demonstrated the great media attention we are receiving, with the following
post:

"I heard about your walk this morning, Sunday, on WAMC, Northeast Public
Radio and when I went out to go food shopping I passed you guys on Toleman
Rd. just north of the tunnel. I saw 2 smiling faces. Good for you!
Congratulations!!!"

We are not sure of all the media attention we have received, but to this
point, we know that Ali's efforts have gotten Timothy's Law coverage on TV
in Syracuse and Albany, as well as WROW, WAMC, and WCBS on the radio.  If
you know of additional coverage in your area, please let us know, as we
cannot track what is going on throughout the state without you.

If you are along the walk route, please, try to take a few minutes to show
your support to Ali and those walking with her.  Take a moment to think how
you would feel after walking 41 miles, knowing you have 80 more to go.  Now
that you've partaken in that little exercise, it is probably easy to realize
how much the support of each one of you means to her, and helps her along
the way.  If you drive by and see the walkers, honk to show your support.
Give a wave.  It is just that easy.

Then, on Thursday, try to take some time and come to Albany.  Hear firsthand
from Alexandra about her trip, and be one of hundreds to call for immediate
passage of Timothy's Law on the steps of the State Capitol on the day the
Senate comes back to Albany.  Every body we can assembly will be of
tremendous importance that day, and we hope you can make it.  Again, busses
are coming from New York City and Westchester.  The information is below;
but hurry, they are filling up quickly.

            New York City, Brooklyn, Harlem - Contact Jessica Whalen at
(212) 684-3365
            Bronx - Contact Pauline Magnetti at (718) 862-3347 or
bpcarcinc at aol.com
            Westchester - Contact Eva Dech at (914) 682 -3926

Also, if you need a ride, or have room in your car, please let people know
via the Timothy's Law Message Board.  This is a valuable resource that can
allow our community to work together to create as large a presence in the
state capital as possible.

If you can't make it, let your Senator know you wanted to be in Albany, but
couldn't make it due to other obligations.  Take 5 minutes to place a phone
call to tell them that you support those in Albany calling for passage of
Timothy's Law, and that you wish you could be there with them.  Visit
<http://map01.elections.state.ny.us/boe/main.asp>
http://map01.elections.state.ny.us/boe/main.asp to find out who your Senator
is.  You can reach them in Albany by calling the Senate switchboard at (518)
455-2800 and asking to be connected.  It is the next best thing to being
here in person.

As always, thanks for your continued support.  I hope that you will take a
few minutes to read Alexandra's thoughts on the Timothy's Law message board,
as they are truly inspiring.  I also hope that you will be able to get to
Albany on Thursday to call for the passage of this vital legislation.

As always, thank you to all of you.  This movement is built upon your
commitment to the concept of parity, and we would not be where we are today
without every last one of you.  I know that if you can not make it to
Albany, that you will be with us in spirit (and making phone calls).

Please take a moment to grow our movement by passing this message on to your
friends, family and co-workers.

Also, if you have questions or comments, please do not reply to this
message.  You can direct correspondence to Bryan O'Malley at
bomalley at mhanys.org.

As always, thank you.

Refer A Friend
Friend's Name: