[Timothy's Team] Timothy's Law to save hundreds of millions

Bryan O'Malley bomalley at mhanys.org
Tue Mar 9 11:43:37 EST 2004

Yesterday, the Mental Health Association in New York State (MHANYS),
longtime supporters of Timothy's Law, stood up and added yet another
compelling piece of evidence in the case for passage of Timothy's Law.
At a press conference in Albany, the organization released a copy of a
letter they sent to Senate Majority Leader Bruno, Speaker Silver, and
Governor Pataki citing an overall savings to the 2004-05 NYS budget of
over $200 million if Timothy's Law is included.  $43 million dollars
worth of the potential savings would come from savings to Medicaid,
costs insurance companies would assume.  The other $185 million would
emanate from social services savings.  These costs result from the other
services the state must assume when custody of a child is relinquished,
costs such as housing, education, food, clothing, etc...  The cost
savings associated with the Social Services budget would be a direct
savings for the state, and would come as a result of merely keeping the
family unit intact.

The story brought attention to Timothy's Law in the most unexpected of
places, a Business Jounral.  A copy of the article in Capital District
Business Review can be found at
<http://albany.bizjournals.com/albany/stories/2004/03/08/daily5.html?jst
=b_ln_hl>
http://albany.bizjournals.com/albany/stories/2004/03/08/daily5.html?jst=
b_ln_hl.

A copy of the letter sent to Senate Majority Leader Joseph Bruno is
attached.

Don't Forget - Today is Phone-In for Timothy's Law

Please take a few minutes today to make two very important phone calls.

First, call your Senator today to tell him or her:

"I support Timothy's Law, S.5329.  Nobody should die because of
insurance restrictions, and I want you to ask Senator Bruno to bring
Timothy's Law to the floor for a vote, today!!"

When you are done with that call, Call Senate Majority Leader Joe Bruno,
who controls whether or not a bill gets voted on, and tell him:

"I want you to bring Timothy's Law, S.5329, to the floor for a vote,
today!!!"

The movement to pass Timothy's Law grows bigger everyday.  We have the
momentum, and the other side knows it.  Let's take this opportunity to
flood the Senate with phone calls, shut-down their phones, and make it
known that New Yorkers want the m to pass Timothy's Law and end the
discrimination against individuals with mental illness.

You can reach both your Senator and Senate Majority Leader Bruno by
calling the Senate Switchboard at (518) 455-2800.  To find out who your
Senator is, go to the New York State Board of Elections site at:
<http://map01.elections.state.ny.us/boe/main.asp>
http://map01.elections.state.ny.us/boe/main.asp

And after you make your phone calls, don't forget to make your plans to
come to Albany on March 16.  On Tuesday, March 16, you too can "Get on
the Bus".  Buses are leaving for Albany from New York City, Long Island,
Westchester, Binghamton, Syracuse, and Buffalo.  A flyer for the event
with more information is attached.  The flyer is in Adobe Acrobat, and
you will need the Adobe Reader to view this document.  If you do not
have Adobe Reader, it is free and easy to download.  You can download
this software free at
<http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html>
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html.

As always, we thank you for your support.  The movement to pass
Timothy's Law is a grassroots effort, driven by you.  As a collective,
we are fighting the powerful insurance lobby who desperately is trying
to cling to their ability to discriminate against those living with
mental illness.  Well, no matter how powerful they are, we are proving
more powerful.  Keep up the pressure, we are close, but we cannot rest
yet.

Refer A Friend
Friend's Name:
Friend's Email: