[Timothy's Team] Support for Timothy's Law continues to grow!!!

Bryan O'Malley bomalley at mhanys.org
Tue Oct 7 11:19:57 EDT 2003

Untitled Document
Support for Timothy's Law continues to grow as campaign activities
throughout the state have been non-stop since the Senate left town without
passing Timothy's Law.  It seems that the entire mental health and substance
abuse community has been energized by Senator Bruno's statement that he
opposed Timothy's Law, and that it is "too broad and too expensive."

This newfound opposition to the bill from Senate Leadership has led to
numerous activities throughout the state.

1. Grassroots organizations led by Samaritan's Suicide Prevention have been
conducting literature drops and petition drives in Senator Bruno's district.
These efforts have focused on the Senator's hometown of Brunswick and
Clifton Park, which is also in his district.  To this point, over 7,000
flyers have been disseminated, informing people about Timothy's Law and
asking them to call Senator Bruno in support of the bill.  These flyers have
also included petitions, which we are gathering to deliver to Senator Bruno
during the Senate's next visit to Albany (see below for more details on
this).  The campaign is hoping to garner thousands of signatures from across
the state.  A copy of the petition is attached to this document, please take
a couple of minutes to print and fill it out, then send it back to TLC by
fax or mail.  Our fax number is (518) 434-06478, and the mail address is
TLC; 15 Elk St.; Albany, NY 12207.

If you would like to help distribute literature in the Capital District, or
would like to set up a literature drop in your own area, we can help.  Call
Bryan at (800) 766-6177, ext. 29, or reply to this e-mail.

2.  Jessica Lynch, the reigning Miss New York State and an outspoken
advocate of Timothy's Law, will be speaking in Syracuse at a free public
seminar entitled "Childhood Depression and Timothy's Law".  The event will
be held from 7:00 to 8:15 p.m. at the DeWitt Barnes and Nobles Booksellers
in the Syracuse area, as part of Mental Health Awareness Week.  Barnes and
Nobles is located at 3454 Erie Blvd. East

Upcoming Campaign Activities:

3.  It is widely expected that the Senate will be returning to Albany yet
again sometime near the end of October.  While we remain uncertain of the
dates at this juncture, TLC is planning to hold candlelight vigils outside
of the Capitol Building the entire time that the Senate is in Session.  We
will provide you with more details as they become available, but as of now,
it is expected that the return will take place during the final week of
October.  Stay Tuned!!!

4.  Also, for those of you in the Buffalo area, a rally is being planned for
sometime in the near future.  Final dates and times are being discussed as
we speak.  Again, we will provide you with more information as it becomes
available to us.

Thanks for all of your continued support, we could not be where we are today
without you.  And, remember, if you know someone who you think should get
Timothy's Team updates, please send this on to them by using the "Refer a
Friend" feature below.

      Refer A Friend
      Friend's Name:
      Friend's Email: