[Timothy's Team] Let's Recap - Timothy's Law and the grassroots movement in 2003

Bryan O'Malley bomalley at mhanys.org
Tue Dec 30 17:22:38 EST 2003

Well, 2004 is almost upon us, and it only seems right that we take a
moment right now to review 2003.

It was certainly a busy year.  One which saw the introduction of
"Timothy's Law" for the first time, as Tom and Donna O'Clair joined the
campaign in January and quickly became two of the most active and ardent
supporters of the bill, named after their son, that we could hope for.
In February, supporters of the bill started coming to Albany from
throughout the state, communicating their support for Timothy's Law to
legislators and making it clear that as constituents, they hoped to see
their legislator's name listed as a co-sponsor.

In March, the campaign picked up yet another high profile supporter in
Jessica Lynch.  Jessica would eventually go onto become Miss New York
State, and has spoken passionately about Timothy's Law at every event
she has taken part in, including the Miss New York State pageant in
June.  The campaign gained momentum in April when Assemblyman Paul
Tonko, the O'Clair's representative in the Assembly, introduced
Timothy's Law with 50 of his peers.  In May, Senator Thomas Libous
introduced Timothy's Law in the Senate on May 29, with 32 of his peers
in the Majority signed on as co-sponsors.  Jessica Lynch and the
O'Clairs also took advantage of the end of winter by doing a whirlwind
media tour through Upstate New York, gaining prominent media attention
for the issue, and beginning the process of making those outside the
mental health community and Albany aware of the presence and importance
of this legislation.

June was a watershed month for Timothy's Law.  At the beginning of the
month, Assemblyman Tonko ushered Timothy's Law through his chamber by a
vote of 131-11.  The issue then gained national attention as it was
featured on NBC's Today Show.  This prompted massive interest in the
issue, as the Timothy's Law website averaged at times 1,000 hits per
hour.  The large grassroots effort that had been built became evident
when thousands gathered on the boardwalk on Long Island to march in
support of Timothy's Law.

Over the summer, supporters of Timothy's Law began several innovative
efforts to draw attention to their issue both in the media nad in the
Senate.  In July, the campaign began sending $1.26, the per person per
month cost of Timothy's Law, to Senate Majority Leader Joseph Bruno.
The message was clear, "We are willing to part with this money, and want
you to pass Timothy's Law so we can."  In September, hundreds gathered
in Albany's Washington Park to march on the Capitol and demand that the
Senate pass Timothy's Law.  This event coincided with the Senate's one
day return to Albany, and while it did not result in the passage of
Timothy's Law, it did draw attention to the issue yet again, once again
raising public awareness.  Indeed, Jim Franco of the Troy Record,
Senator Bruno's hometown paper, called the rally, "...the most
impressive event I have seen on the storied east steps (of the State
Capitol)."  He went on to conclude his article by saying, "With the
heartfelt conviction, blind determination and genuine human compassion I
saw Tuesday, it is appalling to think they (Timothy's Law advocates) are
still being turned a deaf ear."

As winter approached, the spirit of Timothy's Law supporters did not
wane.  In early November, hundreds of supporters once again gathered,
this time in Buffalo, to call for the passage of Timothy's Law.  In New
York City, supporters of Timothy's Law gained a great friend and ally
when New York City Councilman David Weprin of Queens introduced a
resolution calling upon the New York State Senate to pass Timothy's Law.
Throughout the state, supporters took to the streets to flyer their
neighborhoods and spread the word about this important campaign.
MHANYS, one of the primary organizations supporting Timothy's Law, used
the time to issue a report about the high costs of health care, and
linking it not to health insurance mandates, but to the million dollar
salaries being paid to insurance company CEO's.  Although this report
was not directly linked to Timothy's Law, it was obviously relevant as
an answer to the issue of cost that insurance industry lobbyists have
been using in opposition to Timothy's Law.

Finally, in the weeks before the holiday, Santa Claus even appeared to
show his support for Timothy's Law.  Santa perused the halls of the
Legislative Office Building in Albany giving coal to the NYS Senate for
their failure to pass Timothy's Law.

Although Timothy's Law did not pass this year, we must look at our
accomplishments and achievements.  By turning Timothy's Law into an
issue with large grassroots support and almost universal name
recognition, we accomplished what very few (outside of ourselves, who
always knew what we could do together as a community) thought we were
capable of.  We have built a statewide team of people that will not stop
working until Timothy's Law becomes reality.  As we move into 2004,
reflect on our successes from this year to steel yourselves for yet
another year of advocacy and action.  For the fight will not be easy,
but then again, those worth winning never are.

Happy New Year to everyone, may it be the beginning of a great time for
all of us.

Please spread this message to those you know, to spread the word of our
success and help build the movement to support Timothy's Law.  If you
have any questions or comments about hits e-mail or Timothy's Law in
general, you may reply to bomalley at mhanys.org.  Please do not reply to
this e-mail, as it will go to a mailbox that is checked infrequently at
best.
Refer A Friend
Friend's Name:
Friend's Email: