[NYAPRS Enews] NYAPRS Releases 2021-2 Legislative Advocacy Book:; Come to NYAPRS Feb 23rd Virtual Legislative Day: Make your Legislative Appointments Now

Harvey Rosenthal harveyr at nyaprs.org
Fri Feb 5 07:59:27 EST 2021

NYAPRS Note: Attached please find details on each of NYAPRS members' budget and legislative priorities this year. Please hold February 23 and join us for our virtual annual Legislative Day and see the day's schedule below. Make your appointment today with your state legislators during NYAPRS Legislative Day during February 23-March 5. Thank you!
COME PARTICIPATE IN NYAPRS LEGISLATIVE DAYS!
February 23-March 5 2021

In order to keep our members safe and well, NYAPRS is moving our legislative and budget advocacy this year to a web-based virtual format between the days of Tuesday February 23 to March 5.

First off, we're planning to kick off our efforts with a virtual version of our traditional Legislative Day program on February 23rd.

As always, our program will feature presentations from NYAPRS members and friends with guidance on how to present our respective issues to their legislators, followed by some remarks from prominent state officials and a role play of a typical legislative meeting.

Please see the attached program schedule for that day. We'll be sending out detailed summaries about our advocacy priorities for the coming 2021-22 budget and legislative sessions in the next day or so. We're also encouraging our members to start scheduling zoom advocacy meetings now with their respective Senators and Assembly members for appointments from the afternoon of February 23rd until March 5th.

Harvey will also be making presentations at two statewide virtual Planning forums on Tuesday, February 16th from 11:00am - 12:30pm and Thursday, February 18th at 2:00pm - 3:30pm to discuss our issues and prepare everyone for the day and the appointments. It is important to attend one of these planning events.  The links for these events are below.
February 16th - https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_EI7Tl6GORJmoqCvYoiS_og<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__zoom.us_webinar_register_WN-5FEI7Tl6GORJmoqCvYoiS-5Fog&d=DwMFAg&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=JcZseEMR8oua53sbfso6Mxq8nPlZ0Gmz9HLUtrXMnOU&m=4fyNGzR5NIZl0q08JsJ9O-r6nQSFq62QZNdTeNA_V2g&s=MLhebck2qxzRcIX1Pu-mbkayE99pnv2j237Xzj3THvY&e=>
February 18th - https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_nVTLYygqRii7ONoqt38StA<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__zoom.us_webinar_register_WN-5FnVTLYygqRii7ONoqt38StA&d=DwMFAg&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=JcZseEMR8oua53sbfso6Mxq8nPlZ0Gmz9HLUtrXMnOU&m=4fyNGzR5NIZl0q08JsJ9O-r6nQSFq62QZNdTeNA_V2g&s=mybyvP4OgXJiSjiimnRY-I87NTRHBtfIAqBJOS0F06o&e=>

Please contact Len Statham at lens at nyaprs.org<mailto:lens at nyaprs.org> or 585-490-3979 with any questions.
-------------

NYAPRS 22nd Annual Legislative Day Program
Tuesday, February 23, 2020
Zoom link - https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_5uUerGfRS4OWKRv7bQhXnw<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__zoom.us_webinar_register_WN-5F5uUerGfRS4OWKRv7bQhXnw&d=DwMFAg&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=JcZseEMR8oua53sbfso6Mxq8nPlZ0Gmz9HLUtrXMnOU&m=4fyNGzR5NIZl0q08JsJ9O-r6nQSFq62QZNdTeNA_V2g&s=0cQDPj172qpC7lKJBV8MldnoB5h9XhDCfk9TFseqXVs&e=>   Passcode: 979236

Program Schedule

10:00 am  Welcoming Remarks

10:05 am  NYAPRS 2021-2022 State Public Policy Priorities

1.   Restore 5% Cut to Community Behavioral Health Services

Harvey Rosenthal, CEO; Glenn Liebman, MHANYS

2.   Release $22 Million in Community Reinvestment Funding

Harvey Rosenthal, CEO, NYAPRS

3.   Support $20 Million Allocation for Community Housing
Sebrina Barrett, ACL

4.   HALT the Torture of Solitary Confinement

Jerome Wright, Natasha White, Campaign for Alternatives to Isolated Confinement;

Jeff McQueen, NYAPRS Cultural Competence Committee

5.   Fund Peer Crisis Counselor/EMT First Responder Demonstration Programs
Carla Rabinowitz, Correct Crisis Intervention Today-NYC

6.   Oppose Expansion of Kendra's Law and Inpatient Commitment Standards;

Redirect Funds to Boost Intensive Voluntary Outreach Initiatives
Harvey Rosenthal, NYAPRS

7.   Protect Adult Home Residents' Safety and Rights and Promote their Successful Transitions to the Community
Geoff Lieberman, Coalition for the Institutionalized Aged and Disabled; Resident Council Member

8.   Extend Funding for Self-Directed Care Initiatives
Keith Aguiar, Community Access, Doug Hovey, Independent Living, Participants

9.   Revise New York's Olmstead Most Integrated Setting Plan: Prioritize Nursing Home Alternatives

and Employment Outcomes for People with Disabilities

Doug Hovey, NYAPRS Public Policy Committee; Matthew Pettitte, NYAPRS Employment Committee

10.Pass Legislation Requiring New York to Address the Devasting Consequences of Unresolved Trauma

Members, Trauma informed Learning Community

11:05 am  FEATURED SPEAKERS

*       Senator Samra Brouk, Chair, Senate Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities Committee

*       Assemblywoman Aileen Gunther, Chair, Assembly Mental Health Committee

*       Senator Julia Salazar (invited), Chair, NYS Senate Crime Victims, Crime and Correction Committee

*       Assemblyman Jeffrion Aubry, NYS Assembly Speaker Pro Tempore

*       Dr. Ann Sullivan, Commissioner, NYS Office of Mental Health

*       Kerri Neifeld (invited) Assistant Secretary to the Governor for Human Services and Mental Hygiene

11:45                 ROLE PLAY OF LEGISLATIVE ADVOCACY MEETINGS

12:00 pm     NEWS CONFERENCE - https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_BsmMLLqrR7GSlWt8tbyZww<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__zoom.us_webinar_register_WN-5FBsmMLLqrR7GSlWt8tbyZww&d=DwMFAg&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=JcZseEMR8oua53sbfso6Mxq8nPlZ0Gmz9HLUtrXMnOU&m=4fyNGzR5NIZl0q08JsJ9O-r6nQSFq62QZNdTeNA_V2g&s=G1kifozH64leIDXvafT6gWGYKtzpj98n5zDiQ3LE4O4&e=>

1:00-5:00 pm      Zoom Calls with State Legislators and/or Staff