[NYAPRS Enews] NYAPRS: Five Things to Know about the Election

Harvey Rosenthal harveyr at nyaprs.org
Wed Nov 4 08:25:16 EST 2020

NYAPRS: Five Things to Know about the Election
November 4, 2020

It's officially the day after Election Day and the country, and world, are waking up without knowing who the next president of the United States will be. It was expected<https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/11/02/election-2020-our-election-coverage-results-accurate-trusted/6071647002/> we wouldn't know who the victor was Tuesday night.

Five things to know:

  1.  The election is on a knife edge: each candidate face narrow paths to potential victory that will be determined by a razor-thin margin.
  2.  Joe Biden currently leads Donald Trump in the Electoral College by 238-213: 270 votes or more are required to claim the Presidency.
  3.  Key states of Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania are not expecting to know who the winner is until at earliest Wednesday morning, though some are predicting it could be a few days to accurately count all mail-in ballots
  4.  Trump claimed he's the victor as far as he's concerned and threatened to go to the Supreme Court, even with votes left to count.  The Biden campaign says it will 'prevail' in a Trump legal challenge over mail-in ballots and urged patience.
  5.  The GOP has maintained control over the Senate and will be able to frustrate initiatives proposed by a possible Democrat alignment in the While House and House of Representatives.

The outcome is almost certain to come down to millions of absentee ballots that were the first cast in this election and often are the last to be counted.

See details around US and NYS voting at https://tinyurl.com/yyylr3xj and look for a statement from advocates for NY's behavioral health services.

Stay tuned: we'll send updates throughout the day.