[NYAPRS Enews] Healing, Arts, Music, Dance & Laughter: 10 Days Away, Register Today for NYAPRS Conference!

Harvey Rosenthal HarveyR at nyaprs.org
Wed Aug 29 16:59:14 EDT 2018

NYAPRS Note: We're only 10 DAYS AWAY from this year's NYAPRS Annual Conference, "Dignity, Recovery and Justice for All!", to be held on September 12-14 at our new main conference site at the Honor's Haven Resort in Ellenville! Please see our 11 innovations presentations below and see our full draft program schedule at https://tinyurl.com/y7wtng8o;

Once again, we're featuring a very rich program of opportunities for hands on healing, art presentations, music to play and dance to and, of course, the laughter from our annual Stand Up for Mental Health comedy showcase. See below for more details.

This year's comedians include Shannon Landy, Luis Lopez, Chacku Mathai, Margi Marek and Joe Denne

Single rooms at the Honor's Haven are almost all gone while we have some double rooms left. Overflow registrants can stay at the premium rooms at the Hudson Valley Resort that has previously been our main conference site in the past. We'll have hourly large bus transport between the 2 hotels.

First Come First Served!: Please Register Now!<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2frms.nyaprs.org%2fevent%2f%3fpage%3dCiviCRM%26q%3dcivicrm%2fevent%2fregister%26id%3d28%26reset%3d1&c=E,1,re6Ej-QK0DBzrJXItEY6M9v070eyYq9X3b95qOyn4uSS4aBidbt9N8WA7px4idZ5KxhkeZkG-Zd25-qRM2NeCtlga6VhCj16KL-2NDL2zAC3fPI,&typo=1> or at https://tinyurl.com/ydeoo84k

Please note that we are continuing to offer a register 5 get one free arrangement.
Send your questions to us at eileenc at nyaprs.org<mailto:eileenc at nyaprs.org>.

See you in September in the Catskills!

[cid:image015.jpg at 01D43BAE.B62E1A50]

Trauma-Informed Yoga in Behavioral Health Settings
Trauma-informed yoga, a recent adaption of the practice, incorporates the proven health benefits of yoga with a safe environment, noninterpretive language, and a focus on emotional awareness.  The workshop will explore the implementation of this emerging practice in behavioral health settings.
Altrovise Walcott, Erin Palmer, Services for the Underserved, Bronx, NY
Erin Palmer, Services for the Underserved, New York, NY
Bronte Kastenberg, Bronx Partners for Healthy Communities, Bronx, NY

HaHa and Soul
So, these are really challenging, uncertain, and often-stressful times. Many of us feel pressure in the work we do and in our personal lives. Some of us are anxious. So the question is: How do we live in these times with a sense of hope and joy? In this workshop, we will have some fun, sing some songs, move around a bit, and talk together about what our purpose is and what we can do to bring more hope and joy into our lives and the work we do supporting people with disabilities and others.
Steve Holmes, Albany, NY

Tai Chi and Qigong for Beginners with Bryon Abrams
Shiatsu and Yoga with Dagny Alexander
Meditation with Nelson Adler
Acupuncture with Sue Batkin
Massage with Phil Schulman

Art and Creativity in Recovery & Social Justice
Art and the creative expressions is part of our everyday activity of daily living. From the conscious to the unconscious, we use art in our everyday lifestyle. When put into Best Practices, ART has been found to heal and recover in any individual from illness onto wellness. It's a powerful tool for political action, activism, and community awareness.
Sigfrido Benitez, Westbeth Artist Community, New York, NY

Rhythms for Connections: Self Care and Community Care
This is an interactive experience where participants will connect with their own innate sense of play and the gently healing power of rhythm. Participants may bring their own drum though sufficient instruments will be provided. Sharing a respectful and fun atmosphere, we'll connect to our own heartbeats, develop our abilities to play in community and respond to the rhythms of the natural world. A fun and accessible self-care practice suitable for people of all levels of drumming experience.
Chrys Ballerano, NYSCASA, Albany, NY
Deborah Faust, Mental Health Association of New York State, Albany, NY

Arts Visionary Dialogue: Supporting Artists Passions in NY
Are you an arts lover? If so, come lend us your creative thoughts and ideas of how to best develop peer arts programs in New York City and beyond. We will talk about the future of The Living Museum at Creedmoor State Hospital. Also Bluebird will present a Power Point presentation showing successful peer arts programs in different parts of the country. John Allen, Special Assistant to the Commissioner of the NYS Office of Mental Health will talk about the background for this exciting project.
Gayle Bluebird, Arts Consultant and Entrepreneur, Gainesville, FL
John Allen, Special Assistant to the Commissioner, NYS Office of Mental Health, Albany, NY

Healing Through Hip Hop                             l
The team is back to talk about the power of healing and recovery through Hip Hop. Each presenter will share their story and the music that supported them. This year, the team will introduce a new artist who will share his story through verse and rap. This is a celebration of life with trauma survivors.
Luis Lopez, Chacku Mathai, Celia Brown, Amanda Saake, Noah Gokul

Open Mic with Mike Skinner

"Vicarious Resilience"
A docu short that follows three Hudson Valley residents as they experience the power of true storytelling and share personal stories about loss and triumph.
Mental Health Association in Ulster County/TMI collaboration
Ellen Pendegar, Denise Ranaghan, Morris Bassik, Eva Tenuto

"You are Not Alone"
A documentary about black, gay men breaking their silence on depression with personal stories, interviews with mental health professions, community leaders and re-enactments.
Antoine Craigwell, DBGM, Inc., New York, NY

Dancing Under the Tent at the NYAPRS World Famous BBQ
DJ Jerome