[NYAPRS Enews] Correction: Call Gov Cuomo Today to Keep His Promise to Expand Supportive/Affordable Housing!

Harvey Rosenthal HarveyR at nyaprs.org
Thu Feb 16 09:44:34 EST 2017

Correction: Please use the following number to reach Governor Cuomo: 518-474-1041

TAKE ACTION TODAY!
Urge Gov. Cuomo to Keep His Promise to Provide Housing for Homeless New Yorkers!

As a member of the Campaign 4 NY/NY Housing, NYAPRS is urging  E-News subscribers to take action today to see that state government keeps its promise to expand critically needed supportive and affordable housing for low income and/or homeless individuals.

Background:

*         Governor Cuomo committed to develop 20,000 units of supportive housing over fifteen years at last year's State of the State Address. His 2016 executive budget included a five-year $2 billion housing and homelessness plan that included the first 6,000 supportive housing units.

*         However, at the end of the last legislative session in June, the Governor and Legislative leaders only signed off on a $150 million Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) for 1,200 units of supportive housing.

*         The rest of the $1.82 billion has been the subject of a still unresolved MOU.

*         Even though the Governor's new budget removes the MOU language, there is nothing preventing this MOU from being signed now or any time before a new budget is enacted in April.

As a community, we must work together to urge our leaders to find a solution now.
The homeless men, women, and children across the state cannot afford to wait for another round of negotiations!

TAKE ACTION TODAY!

Call Governor Cuomo's office today at 518-474-1041 and leave the following message:

"We urge Governor Cuomo to get the housing MOU DONE NOW. He made this promise more than a year ago.
Over 80,000 people are homeless across the state. Every day that passes without an MOU is another day that people live in the streets and in shelters. We need the Governor to fulfill his promise and get the MOU done now."

THANK YOU!