[NYAPRS Enews] Walmart Takes Down Suicide Scar Makeup, Tell the Maker to Eliminate It!

Harvey Rosenthal HarveyR at nyaprs.org
Mon Oct 24 07:21:44 EDT 2016

Walmart Takes Down Suicide Scar Makeup, Tell the Maker to Eliminate It!
NYAPRS E News  October 24, 2016

Advocates have once again gotten a major American corporation to take down offensive products.

Razor Blade Suicide Scar Wound Latex Costume Make Up," which simulates self-harm scars that look like the person has attempted to take his or her life, was being sold on Walmart's online, prompting a campaign of outrage by Zee Malvern, CEO of Revolving of Doors<http://www.revolvingofdoors.com/>, a mental health advocacy site, started a petition<https://www.change.org/p/mental-health-advocates-stop-the-sales-of-wal-mart-razor-blade-suicide-scar-wound-latex-costume-make-up-sales?recruiter=614609318&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_term=des-md-google-no_msg> to remove the item from Walmart's online store.

The petition read "This is not just a disgrace to the sensitivity to those who suffer from self-harm, but a shame on Walmart for making light of the situation. This 'costume' is real life for many people, many people who are contemplating volumes higher than self-harm. Suicide is not a joke, not a costume, and not funny. Many people who have 'suicide' or as I would call it 'survivor' scar wounds wish they could make them disappear."

See powerful comments from those who signed the petition at http://www.revolvingofdoors.com/2016/10/23/walmart-petition-take-suicide-scar-costume-off-shelves/.

Walmart responded late Friday: "The costume is appalling and it was unacceptable for a third-party seller to list it on our marketplace. It clearly violated our prohibited items policy and we removed it yesterday morning when it was brought to our attention."

Zoe responded with "We took that product OFF the shelves.  All the mental health advocates who were so outraged by this!  This took on a "life" of its own on Twitter and Facebook.  Those communities have very powerful mental health advocates. That is how social change starts. We will continue to fight for everyone who cannot fight for themselves. We deserve to be heard. Thank you to EVERYONE who signed, commented, retweeted the petition and sent letters and calls of their own. You should all be very proud of yourselves. You truly helped a lot of people. I'm proud of you. I'm proud of us."
Now, noted advocate Pete Early is calling on us to now "focus on the real culprit, " Rubies, which bills itself as the world's largest designer, manufacturer and distributor of Halloween costumes and accessories.
"Email them today at https://www.rubies.com/contacts and demand that they stop making this outrageous product that is completely offensive to Americans with mental health conditions."
See this outrageous product below:
[Costume makeup depicting self-harm]