[NYAPRS Enews] Tumblr Offers On Line Discussion Resource for Mental Health Community

Harvey Rosenthal HarveyR at nyaprs.org
Thu Aug 25 09:03:58 EDT 2016

NYAPRS Note: Another example of how the use of social media is helping to share resources and promote the development of positive support networks.

Tumblr Offers On Line Discussion Resource for Mental Health Community

According to Crain's, the Manhattan-based blogging site Tumblr is taking a more discussion-oriented approach to promoting mental health in a space set aside to talk about mental health issues.

"Post It Forward<http://postitforward.tumblr.com/>" offers the opportunity to view mental health resource materials amongst a number of personal postings; all told, there've been 16,000 posts to date.

Advocates are posting "a ton of content," including research studies, resource links and videos on mental health issues, with the tag "Post It Forward," a Tumblr spokeswoman told Crain's. "We can make sure our audience sees it on their dashboards and it can live beside artwork from users."

"The idea of sharing stories is really important and would have saved me a lot of suffering as a kid," said one user.