[NYAPRS Enews] TW: NYS Worker Minimum Wage Hike Begins Dec 31, Nonprofit Advocacy Needed!

Thomas Templeton TomT at nyaprs.org
Mon Dec 21 08:28:29 EST 2015

NYAPRS Note: Governor Cuomo's plan to incrementally raise the minimum wage to $15 per hour for state workers begins on December 31. This increase will not be fully realized until 2021 statewide and till 2018 in New York City.
Additional state funding must be afforded to nonprofits like our community behavioral health sector to ensure we can keep pace and attract and retain our dedicated workforce. NYAPRS has addressed this concern with the Governor's office, and is expecting to include it on our policy agenda for our 2016 Legislative Day on February 23.
-----------------
Cuomo Admin Moves To Finalize Minimum Wage Increase For State Workers
Time Warner Cable News - State of Politics

The phase-in hike in the minimum wage for state workers will begin on Dec. 31, Gov. Andrew Cuomo's administration announced in a budget bulletin document to state agencies.

The move is an incremental step in the process, providing state agencies with the guidance on the cost and impact of the wage increase.

Once fully phased in, the wage increase is expected to impact 10,000 executive branch workers and cost $20.6 million annually.

Cuomo had previously announced in November he would back an increase in the minimum wage for state employees to $15 spread out over the next several years. Statewide, the wage will increase incrementally through 2021 to $15. In New York City, the wage will increase to $15 by the end of 2018.

"A full day's work should result in an honest and livable wage," Cuomo said in a statement. "By raising the minimum wage for state workers, we are leading by example and ensuring that thousands of workers are better able to provide for their families. I am proud to be fighting for fair pay in New York, and we will not stop until all workers are paid the decent wages they deserve."

Cuomo previously moved to raise the minimum wage for workers in the fast-food industry to $15 through an administrative action and is backing legislation to have a broader wage hike for all low-wage workers next year.

Senate Republicans remain skeptical of the proposal, even as they have not ruled out backing some form of an increase next year.

http://www.nystateofpolitics.com/2015/12/cuomo-admin-moves-to-finalize-minimum-wage-increase-for-state-workers/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter