[NYAPRS Enews] Personal and Social Wellbeing are the Foundation of Our "Health First Era"

Briana Gilmore BrianaG at nyaprs.org
Fri Aug 29 09:39:28 EDT 2014

NYAPRS Note: Ron Manderscheid discusses well-being and quality of life in the linked article below, which also offers registration to a webinar on the same theme. He will also be joining us at this year's NYAPRS Annual Conference, where you can learn from him in person in workshops "The Critical Role of Peers in the ACA Environment" on 9/17 at 2:45, and with Bazelon's Jennifer Mathis at 9AM on 9/18, in "How What's Happening in Washington Affects You... And What You Can Do About It!"
Register for the conference today to join us for these and other inspiring, informative workshops!<http://www.nyaprs.org/conferences/annual-conference/2014.cfm> Only three weeks left!

Personal and Social Wellbeing are the Foundation of Our "Health First Era"
Behavioral Healthcare; Ron Manderscheid, 8/29/2014

Recovery is our "running"; wellness, our "health". Join us for an important Healthy People 2020 Spotlight on Health Webinar on September 25 to discuss personal and social wellbeing.

Focused awareness, assessment, and action to promote one's good health have blossomed across America during the past few decades. Witness the legion of runners we see every morning, the virtual absence of smokers in public places, packed neighborhood gyms, and the abundance of "health" fare on restaurant menus. Indeed, we could think of this as the "Health First Era".  It's about people taking control of their health and "managing it", because good health, ultimately, is a resource for a full and satisfying life.

In behavioral healthcare, consumers lead this movement. Recovery is our "running"; wellness, our "health". Intuitively, every consumer knows that one's wellbeing, even one's survival, may depend upon the actions taken to protect and promote one's good health.  Consumers know that one cannot be passive about it-one must be mindful about making healthy choices, and then one must commit to those choices every day to manage and control one's recovery. Thus, health-activation and self-management of health assume great importance.
Read more at: http://www.behavioral.net/blogs/ron-manderscheid/personal-and-social-wellbeing-are-foundation-our-health-first-era