[NYAPRS Enews] CHP: NYS Mental Health Commissioner Says 'Godspeed'

Harvey Rosenthal harveyr at nyaprs.org
Tue Oct 23 09:04:44 EDT 2012

OMH's Hogan to Resign

Crain's Health Pulse  October 23, 2012

Mental Health Commissioner Michael Hogan is resigning "because of a
planned transition that will soon be announced," he said Monday in a
posting on the Office of Mental Health website. He wrote that "working
in the biggest, best (and most complicated!) state mental health agency
in the country has been the pinnacle of a long career. Over the past
five years, we have seen continuous challenges and made spectacular
advances."

Mr. Hogan recently said he wouldn't be commissioner past early November,
but that could depend on whether the Cuomo administration concludes
negotiations with Mr. Hogan's rumored successor: Dr. Grant Mitchell,
commissioner of the Westchester County Department of Community Mental
Health. Mr. Hogan's final reflections are online here
<http://www.omh.ny.gov/omhweb/resources/newsltr/2012/oct/commissioner_me
ssage.html> .

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20121023/PULSE/121029990#ixzz2A7vaZ
cCf

----------------

Mental Health Commissioner Says 'Godspeed'

By Jessica Bakeman  Gannett News Service October 22, 2012

The state Office of Mental Health Commissioner Michael Hogan will be
stepping down from his post, the governor's office confirmed Monday.

After a cabinet meeting earlier in the day, Hogan suggested to Gannett's
Albany Bureau that he was leaving, but said an announcement would come
from Cuomo's administration.

"They had a conversation in there about the aging infrastructure, so I'm
sort of part of the aging infrastructure," Hogan said. "I've had some
conversations about that, but if anything like that were to happen, it
would be the governor's office who would make the announcement."

The governor's office later confirmed the news, but said the
administration did not ask him to leave.

Hogan offered some parting words in his monthly mental health office
newsletter.

"Because of a planned transition that will soon be announced, this will
likely be my last OMH News message as Commissioner," he wrote.

He left readers with this: "It has been a pleasure and privilege to work
with you. OMH will continue to have exemplary leadership in the times
ahead, with the strongest team of any state mental health agency. Good
luck and godspeed."

http://statepolitics.lohudblogs.com/2012/10/22/mental-health-commissione
r-says-godspeed/

---------------------------

State Mental Health Commissioner Hogan Stepping Down

By Glenn Blain  New York Daily News  October 22, 2012

A Cuomo administration spokesman confirmed this afternoon that Mental
Health Commissioner Michael Hogan is planning to retire.

Hogan's departure seemed imminent after he posted what appeared to be a
farewell message
<http://www.omh.ny.gov/omhweb/resources/newsltr/2012/oct/commissioner_me
ssage.html>  on the Office of Mental Health's website.

"Because of a planned transition that will soon be announced, this will
likely be my last OMH News message as Commissioner," Hogan wrote in the
monthly newsletter. "Working in the biggest, best (and most
complicated!) state mental health agency in the country has been the
pinnacle of a long career. Over the past five years, we have seen
continuous challenges and made spectacular advances. I would like to
reflect on several of these issues and the road that lies ahead."

Hogan was first appointed by ex-Gov.Spitzer and confirmed by the Senate
in March of 2007. He had previously served as Ohio's director of Mental
Health from 1991-2007.

A Cuomo administration source insisted that Hogan was not being forced
out.

"This is not something we asked him to do," the source said

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dailypolitics/2012/10/state-mental-heal
th-commissioner-hogan-stepping-down