[NYAPRS Enews] Save the Date: NYAPRS Jan 29th Legislative Day Effort to Protect the Safety Net, Enhance Critical Supports!

Harvey Rosenthal harveyr at nyaprs.org
Wed Nov 21 09:43:48 EST 2012

NYAPRS Note: New York's mental health service system faces extraordinary pressures in the coming year, in the wake of a no growth budget that must nonetheless keep pace with growing needs as we transition to the integration of behavioral health services into Medicaid managed care plans and cope with the fallout of Superstorm Sandy. We must act to protect against big cuts!

The NYAPRS Public Policy Committee has established 2013 priorities to include ensuring that cracks in our safety net are not widened on the eve of this uncertain transition while we keep pace with critical needs like housing, employment and peer services. To do that, we must once again raise our voices to ensure that savings from state hospital downsizing and reduced Medicaid inpatient use are reinvested into the community.

We will also be continuing to focus on New York's Olmstead Plan, adult home residents, access to medications and voluntary strategies to help distressed individuals, families and communities.

Please get prepared to help us launch next year's budget advocacy effort by preparing to come to Albany for our 15th Annual Legislative Day!

            S A V E    T H E   D A T E

BIG CHANGES ARE COMING!

We must ensure that core community recovery services are kept in place

as we approach huge changes that will forever change community services,

integrating mental health, addiction and medical services via managed care.

In the meantime, we must also see that critically needed supports are enhanced to meet growing needs.

--------------

We Need a HUGE TURNOUT to Urge Governor Cuomo and our State Legislators to

Protect the Community Mental Health Safety Net

Reinvest Savings from State, Medicaid Hospital Downsizing

to Expand Housing, Employment and Peer Supports

--------------

** We will have Sign Language interpreters available.**

**Tendremos interpretación en Español.**

Rally and Meet with Your State Legislators in Albany on Tuesday January 29th, 2013

Draft Schedule for the Day

9:30 am      Breakfast, Check-In (get your up-to-date issue paper packets)

10:00 am     Welcome; Presentations on This Year's Legislative Priorities

11:00 am     Invited Speakers, Award Presentations

Noon          Lunch provided by NYAPRS

1:00 pm      Possible press conference, Capitol rally

2:00 pm      Meet with Your Legislators

4:00 pm      Re-group at Your Buses, Return Home

NYAPRS Regional Coordinators are Working Now to Organize Buses

Look for More Details in early December!