[NYAPRS Enews] ALERT: Call Cuomo, Silver to Reject Kendra's Law Expansion Proposals!

Harvey Rosenthal harveyr at nyaprs.org
Mon May 14 07:52:17 EDT 2012

Your calls are needed today to stop the proposed expansion and
permanence of Kendra's Law's reliance on forced outpatient treatment
orders, a costly, unproven approach that should not be enhanced during a
time when we are implementing so many voluntary system improvements:
please call today!

A C T I O N    A L E R T

YOUR CALLS TODAY ARE VITAL

TO OPPOSE KENDRA'S LAW EXPANSION AND PERMANENCE!

Let's Support True System Fixes and Police Training

Over the years, NYC tabloids have capitalized on rare, violent tragedies
involving people with psychiatric diagnoses and NYC policemen with
sensationalized stories filled with defamatory language about 'dangerous
wackos'. These tragedies demand strong and smart action including
improved outreach services and specialized trained police CIT units, not
more defamatory language and calls for more forced treatment.

But advocates to expand and make permanent Kendra's Law have capitalized
on these tragedies to push newly introduced legislation by Senator Young
and Assemblywoman Gunther. This proposal represents a large unfunded
mandate to localities and a further violation of people's rights, and it
is in sharp contrast to the Governor's proposals to shore up system
cracks and improve service outreach and support in his Behavioral Health
Organization and Health Home initiatives

Top statewide advocacy groups are once again opposing the Young/Gunther
measure including:

Association for Community Living

Center for Disability Rights

Coalition for the Homeless

Coalition of Behavioral Health Agencies

Mental Health Association in New York State

Mental Health Empowerment Project

National Association of Social Workers - NYS

New York Ass'n of Psychiatric Rehabilitation Services

New York Association on Independent Living

NYS Conference of Local Mental Hygiene Directors

NYS Council for Community Behavioral Healthcare

New York State Psychiatric Association

New York State Rehabilitation Association

Schuyler Center for Analysis and Advocacy

Supportive Housing Network of New York

Last week, many of you did a terrific job with your phone calls to
Senate Mental Health Committee Chairman Roy McDonald. Now we must turn
our attention to Governor Cuomo and Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver who
need to hear from our community about the degree of opposition that
there is to this measure!

PLEASE MAKE THE FOLLOWING TWO CALLS TODAY!

GOVERNOR CUOMO AT 518-474-8390

ASSEMBLY SPEAKER SILVER AT 518-455-3791

and leave the following message

"I'm a registered voter calling from (your locality) urging you to
oppose S.4881A/A.6987A proposals to expand Kendra's Law and make it
permanent and to instead support true service improvements and police
training"