[NYAPRS Enews] NYS Assembly Dec 17 State Budget Hearing on Supportive Housing

Harvey Rosenthal harveyr at nyaprs.org
Tue Dec 11 13:34:35 EST 2012

ASSEMBLY STANDING COMMITTEE ON SOCIAL SERVICES

ASSEMBLY STANDING COMMITTEE ON MENTAL HEALTH AND

DEVELOPMENTAL DISABLITIES

NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING

SUBJECT:       Supportive Housing Services in New York State.

PURPOSE:     To examine the impact of the enacted 2012-13 State Budget
on Supportive Housing programs throughout New York State.

Monday, December 17, 2012

10:30 am

Hamilton Hearing Room B

Legislative Office Building

Albany, NY

Since its inception in the 1980s, Supportive Housing has become one of
the most cost-effective methods of combating homelessness amongst
high-risk populations in New York State including individuals and
families affected by mental illness. By providing secure, stable
accommodations and services to individuals and families who may not
otherwise have access to permanent affordable living arrangements,
Supportive Housing allows residents to receive individualized supports
including access to case management, crisis intervention, mental health
treatment, job training and placement programs, and support services for
families. Permanent housing coupled with these services lends tenants
the opportunity to focus on treatment and self-sufficiency while
remaining in the community and out of institutional or higher cost
settings.

The Committees seek to obtain a better understanding of supportive
housing programs available to individuals including those with mental
illness including services offered, available sources of funding and how
such programs have been impacted by the enacted 2012-13 State Budget.
The Committees also intend to gain further understanding on the funding
streams available to Supportive Housing initiatives, including the roles
of the Office of Mental Health (OMH) and the Office of Temporary and
Disability Assistance (OTDA) in facilitating such sources of funding.

Persons wishing to present pertinent testimony to the Committees at the
above hearing should complete and return the enclosed reply form as soon
as possible. It is important that the reply form be fully completed and
returned so that persons may be notified in the event of emergency
postponement or cancellation.

Oral testimony will be limited to 10 minutes' duration. In preparing the
order of witnesses, the Committee will attempt to accommodate individual
requests to speak at particular times in view of special circumstances.
These requests should be made on the attached reply form or communicated
to Committee staff as early as possible.

Ten copies of any prepared testimony should be submitted at the hearing
registration desk. The Committee would appreciate advance receipt of
prepared statements.

In order to further publicize these hearings, please inform interested
parties and organizations of the Committees' interest in hearing
testimony from all sources.

In order to meet the needs of those who may have a disability, the
Assembly, in accordance with its policy of non-discrimination on the
basis of disability, as well as the 1990 Americans with Disabilities Act
(ADA), has made its facilities and services available to all individuals
with disabilities. For individuals with disabilities, accommodations
will be provided, upon reasonable request, to afford such individuals
access and admission to Assembly facilities and activities.

Felix Ortiz

Member of Assembly

Chairman

Assembly Standing Committee on

Mental Health and

Developmental Disabilities

Michele Titus

Member of Assembly

Chairman

Assembly Standing Committee on

Social Services

PUBLIC HEARING REPLY FORM

Persons wishing to present testimony at the public hearing on Homeless
Services are requested to complete this reply form as soon as possible
and mail, email or fax it to:

Katie L. Birchenough

Legislative Analyst

Assembly Committee on Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities

Room 422 - Capitol

Albany, New York 12248

Email:  birchenoughk at assembly.state.ny.us

Phone: (518) 455-4371

Fax:     (518) 455-4693

        I plan to attend the following public hearing on Supportive
Housing to be conducted by the Assembly Committee on Social Services and
the Assembly Committee on Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities
on December 17, 2012.

        I plan to make a public statement at the hearing.  My statement
will be limited to 10 minutes, and I will answer any questions which may
arise.  I will provide 10 copies of my prepared statement.

        I will address my remarks to the following subjects:

        I do not plan to attend the above hearing.

        I would like to be added to the Committee mailing list for
notices and reports.

        I would like to be removed from the Committee mailing list.

        I will require assistance and/or handicapped accessibility
information.  Please specify the type of assistance required:

NAME:

TITLE:

ORGANIZATION:

ADDRESS: