[NYAPRS Enews] Dec 13 Webinar Series: Quality Healthcare for LGBT People

Harvey Rosenthal harveyr at nyaprs.org
Tue Dec 11 08:06:38 EST 2012

Quality Healthcare for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender People: A Four-Part Cultural Competence Webinar Series

Join us for a Webinar on December 13

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Time:

3:00 PM - 4:30 PM EST

 <https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/603266570>

Space is limited.
Reserve your Webinar seat now at:
https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/603266570

Part 2: Creating a Welcoming and Safe Environment for LGBT People and Families
Part 2 will focus on creating a welcoming and safe healthcare environment.  The webinar content has broad relevance to clinicians, administrators, researchers and academics alike.

Didn’t attend Part 1?  No problem…all are welcome! View the first webinar at: https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/583665946

Presenter
• Nathan Levitt, RN, Community Outreach and Resource Nurse
Callen-Lorde Community Health Center, New York, NY

Learning Objective
By the end of this webinar, participants will be able to:
• Describe barriers faced by LGBT people in accessing healthcare and why these barriers exist.
• Identify concrete tools to incorporate into your school, organization, hospital, or healthcare center to create a welcoming and safe environment for LGBT people and families.

About the Series
The webinar series is an education program open to anyone interested in learning about the healthcare needs of LGBT people. This cultural competence four-part series will explore the health concerns and healthcare of LGBT people. We will review the social determinants that influence how LGBT people seek and receive care and the impact those influences have on health. We will virtually follow the experience of LGBT people and those of us who care for them to better understand how we can create healthcare environments that are welcoming and can help minimize the existing disparities experienced by this population. We will delve into the clinical concerns specific to LGBT persons- both in terms of physical health and mental health- so we can better understand how to create comprehensive systems of care that support positive outcomes and experiences for LGBT people and result in high quality healthcare.

A partnership between Gay and Lesbian Medical Association and the Hopkins Center for Health Disparities Solutions, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.

After registering you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the Webinar.

System Requirements
PC-based attendees
Required: Windows® 7, Vista, XP or 2003 Server

Mac®-based attendees
Required: Mac OS® X 10.5 or newer

Mobile attendees
Required: iPhone®, iPad®, Android™ phone or Android tablet

 Cheri C. Wilson, MA, MHS, CPHQ
Faculty Research Associate, Health Policy and Management Department
Program Director, Culture-Quality-Collaborative (CQC)

Program Administrator, Cultural Competency Organizational Assessment-360 (COA360)
Hopkins Center for Health Disparities Solutions
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
624 N. Broadway, Suite 312
Baltimore, MD 21205
Office: 443-287-0305
Fax: 410-614-8964