[NYAPRS Enews] Alert: Please Support David Oaks's Recovery from Serious Injury!

Harvey Rosenthal harveyr at nyaprs.org
Mon Dec 10 08:06:24 EST 2012

NYAPRS Note: Since 1986, David Oaks has worked tirelessly to lead
MindFreedom's efforts to advance an international nonviolent revolution
aimed at advancing the human rights and self determination of
psychiatric survivors and mental health consumers.

He is currently dealing with a very serious injury. Please join others
across the nation in today's special day of prayer and positive thought
for David and his family. Visit http://www.mindfreedom.org/day4david to
learn more about how you can participate!
Here's some background information from MindFreedom.

It is with some sadness that we write to inform you that our beloved
David Oaks (tireless human rights activist and director of MindFreedom
International) has recently suffered a serious accident.

On December 1st, 2012, David Oaks fell off a loft ladder while trying to
retrieve Bongo (his cat) from a loft in his home office. An MRI as well
as other imaging testing later showed he had broken the C7 bone in his
neck. However, he could still move his arms and thumbs, and he soon
underwent emergency surgery. The surgeon's report from that first
surgery was positive, although David still needs a second stabilization
surgery which he hopes to undergo soon.

David is now in the surgical ICU on a ventilator. He is awake, can
understand what is said to him and can signal 'yes' or 'no' with two
simple arm movements taught to him by his nurse as well as communicate
with a clipboard. Even with the ventilator and all the other gizmos tied
up to his body, he joked around enough that his nurse called him a
"character". His doctors say that David seems to be very "determined."
Current expectation is that he will be in ICU, on a ventilator, for at
least a week.

ACTION:

There are a number of ways that we can support David and his family:

1.   Join or renew your membership in MindFreedom International at
http://www.mindfreedom.org/mfi-faq/member-services/

2.   Help support the work of MindFreedom. There are a number of active
MFI campaigns right now that could use your support.Visit
http://www.mindfreedom.org/action4oaks
<http://www.mindfreedom.org/take-action/take-action>  to see a list of
relevant actions you can take right now on everything from the
electroshock campaign to the I GOT BETTER campaign to MFI's newest
effort, an expansion from Mad Pride Day to Creative Maladjustment Week
(as part of our work as the IAACM - International Association for the
Advancement of Creative Maladjustment).Let's take our passion for human
rights in mental health care and make David proud while he's away.

3.   OFFER SUPPORT TO DAVID AND FAMILY by sending cards, emails,
letters, or any other communication to the MindFreedom office (much
appreciated!). As things progress, they may also need help with medical
expenses - we'll let you know as more details emerge.

4.   Let's all support one another and use this unfortunate event as a
motivating force to push our nonviolent revolution in mental health care
even further!

In support,
MFI Board and Staff