[NYAPRS Enews] Sample Letter for CMS in Support of NYS Medicaid Waiver Proposal

Harvey Rosenthal harveyr at nyaprs.org
Fri Aug 24 14:13:57 EDT 2012

NYAPRS Note: Here, thanks to a member agency, is a prototype for your
letters. Please send them to DOH today at mrtwaiver at health.state.ny.us.

August 24, 2012

Dear CMS,

I am writing to express my support and the support of the (name of your
agency) for the recommendations of the Medicaid Redesign Team
recommendations regarding New York State 1115 Waiver Amendment
application.

As a (describe agency),  we are pledged to the removal of barriers and
the promotion of independence. New York has taken steps to redesign the
service delivery system to find efficiencies as well as reinvest in key
areas that will promote independence and community integration. While
New York still needs to do more as it relates to Olmstead
implementation, the recommendations of the MRT if enacted will speed
this process. In particular the following are important steps to refocus
the service delivery system to better serve consumers as follows:

*         $750 million for supported housing and related services

*         Millions for peer run service pilots, training and evaluation

*         $525 million to shore up health homes infrastructure, some of
which may be used to plan to incorporate peer and rehabilitative
services more fully into health home designs

*         $550 million for workforce retraining, including training that
promotes recovery and cultural competence

*         $23 million for an extensive ombuds program to help inform,
protect the rights and pursue complaints of Medicaid managed care
beneficiaries

Any of the aforementioned are areas that are in dire need of new
funding. Moreover, we believe that these goals are not only noble but
will, if enacted, enable a rebalancing of the system not only in a cost
effective manner but in a way that will truly promote independence and
fuller inclusion for persons with disabilities.

As a consumer driven and peer run agency we applaud the commitment to
further funding for peer, vocational and recovery services that are
demonstrated to be more effective than other models. Governor Cuomo and
the MRT has put the goal of reinvestment from the proposed savings back
into the system as a way to rebalance and shape services.

We believe that the proposed 1115 waiver is a significant step in the
right direction towards independence and fuller inclusion for people
with disabilities in New York and ask for approval.

Sincerely,

Name and Title

Please Send Letters of Support for NYS MedicaidWaiver Proposal by
Monday!

Please help New York put together a package of letters to transmit to
CMS (the federal Medicaid agency) in support of New York's MRT 1115
Waiver Amendment!

As we've shared over a number of recent postings, the waiver includes a
plan to reinvest anticipated Medicaid savings into a number of key
priorities for NYAPRS members including:

*       $750 million for supported housing and related services

*       Millions for peer run service pilots, training and evaluation

*       $525 million to shore up health homes infrastructure, some of
which may be used to plan to incorporate peer and rehabilitative
services more fully into health home designs

*       $550 million for workforce retraining, including training that
promotes recovery and cultural competence

*       $23 million for an extensive ombuds program to help inform,
protect the rights and pursue complaints of Medicaid managed care
beneficiaries

However, federal approval is far from guaranteed.  We will need to show
the federal government that New York is united in support of this waiver
amendment.

The state is encouraging all willing organizations and individuals to
send letters of support to them at mrtwaiver at health.state.ny.us
<mailto:mrtwaiver at health.state.ny.us>  by this Monday August 27, 2012.

Please send your letter in support of the waiver proposal's capacity to
promote recovery, wellness and a life in the community, advance peer
support, rehabilitation and cultural competence and protect the rights
of beneficiaries.