[NYAPRS Enews] BH: Are Peer-Led Wellness Communities In Our Future?

Harvey Rosenthal harveyr at nyaprs.org
Fri Apr 1 09:30:03 EDT 2011

NYAPRS Note: The following excerpt is from an online exclusive article
from Behavioral Healthcare magazine (see link below for entire piece).
After several days of thoughtful discussion in search of the most
'disruptive innovation' at last month's ACMHA annual Summit, attendees
selected a proposal developed by peer representatives and presented by
the National Empowerment Center's Dan Fisher on what new ACMHA President
Ron Manderscheid highlighted to ACMHA members as "a peer led community
that promotes health and wellness."

NYAPRS is pleased that Dan Fisher will be joining the opening panel of
Dale Jarvis, SAMHSA's Bill Hudock and the NYS Health Foundation's James
Knickman to describe the emerging proposal at our April 27-8 Annual
Executive Seminar at Albany's Crowne Plaza.

We're also pleased that Daniel Hazen, executive director of Voices of
the Heart will be joining the panel on Peer Service Innovations that
will feature Larry Fricks (deputy director of the SAMHSA/HRSA funded
Center for Integrated Healthcare Solutions), Peggy Swarbrick (director
of the Institute for Wellness and Recovery Initiatives of the peer-run
Collaborative Support Programs of New Jersey), PEOPLe Inc's Steve Miccio
and NYAPRS Director for Peer Services Tanya Stevens.

You can see the original program brochure at
http://www.nyaprs.org/conferences/executive-seminar/documents/2011ExSemi
narBrochure2.pdf as well as register for the Seminar at
http://www.nyaprs.org/conferences/executive-seminar/registration/ and
the hotel at
http://www.nyaprs.org/conferences/executive-seminar/documents/2011Crowne
PlazaRegForm.pdf. See you in a few weeks!

Are Peer-Led Wellness Communities In Our Future?
National conference says they're a necessary innovation for behavioral
healthcare
By Ron Manderscheid, PhD, Executive Director, NACBHDD

Behavioral Healthcare March 2011  excerpts   To see entire article, go
http://www.behavioral.net/me2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=Publishing&mod=Pu
blications%3A%3AArticle&mid=64D490AC6A7D4FE1AEB453627F1A4A32&id=ECE6937D
C2F84BF09B492494AAC65A8E&tier=4

Under the smiling spring sky of New Orleans, with jazz accompaniment in
the background and a St. Patrick's Day parade passing by, participants
in the 2011 ACMHA Summit deliberated "Disruptive Innovations in the Age
of Health Reform." ACMHA, The College for Behavioral Health Leadership,
is recognized internationally for these annual summits, each of which
addresses a major concern of the mental health and substance use fields.

The headline from this March 16-18 Summit is clear:  Behavioral
healthcare needs to develop and implement a disruptive innovation to
become an effective player in health reform. Participants resoundingly
concurred that this innovation should center on the development of
peer-led healthy communities that promote wellness and are accountable
for the whole health of members.....

For some time, we have recognized the critical role that our own
communities can play in reducing the risk of disease and in promoting
resilience. These concepts have been systematized by Sir Michael Marmot
and David Satcher into a Model of the Social and Physical Determinants
of Health. This new model recognizes the need to address health and
health care disparities by promoting community equity. The model has
been adopted broadly in the UK and in the U.S. Healthy People 2020
system, and it is an underpinning of the Affordable Care Act.

Going forward, it seems very clear that we need to develop the peer-led
wellness community and promote broader national discussion about it both
within and outside the behavioral health field.....