[NYAPRS Enews] CQCAPD Survey of Voters with Disabilities' Experience

Harvey Rosenthal harveyr at nyaprs.org
Fri Nov 5 08:46:20 EDT 2010

NYAPRS Note: The following comes from NYAPRS Regional Organizer Don
Olson who writes that "now that the election is over the Commission on
Quality of Care and Advocacy for Persons with Disabilities has created a
survey to see how your voting experience went.  This being a major
election year, we at NYAPRS want to make sure your voice was heard and
we hope that people will take advantage of this survey which should only
take a few moments of your time.  Please also join our discussion board
on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=70456235132 and let
us know how your voting experience went."

Commission on Quality of Care and Advocacy for Persons with Disabilities
(CQCAPD) Voter Survey

The Commission on Quality of Care and Advocacy for Persons with
Disabilities (CQCAPD) is conducting a VOTE Survey that seeks to obtain
statewide feedback from voters with disabilities in regard to their
voting experience in the November 2010 general elections.  The
information from the survey will be reported in a "Voter Experience
Rating Guide" to be used as an education and outreach tool to raise
awareness of the voting process for persons with disabilities.

The non-lever optical scan voting machines and ballot marking devices
will be in use throughout the State in the November 2010 elections.
There have been varied experiences across the State with these machines
and the poll sites where they have been piloted.  The CQCAPD staff wants
to capture and learn from these varied experiences.

We have prepared a short, eight (8) question survey which is available
on line and links directly to the Commission's website
https://www.cqcapd.state.ny.us/secure/voting.htm.  The survey covers
four main topics:

1) accessibility of poll sites;

2) accessibility and usability of the voting machines and ballot marking
devices;

3) voting privacy; and

4) the helpfulness of the poll workers.

If you are a person with a disability who has voted in the November 2010
general election, we are inviting your participation. The survey is
voluntary and no names or personal addresses will be used.  The VOTE
Survey is available in large print and has been tested for use with
computer screen readers.  Thank you.