[NYAPRS Enews] June 29 SAMHSA Webinar: 'Bulding An Inclusive Society'

Harvey Rosenthal harveyr at nyaprs.org
Wed Jun 16 08:03:45 EDT 2010

SAMHSA ADS Center Training Teleconference

Building an Inclusive Society

June 29, 2010

In recognition of the 20th anniversary of the passage of the Americans
with Disabilities Act (ADA)

... the Supreme Court affirmed that the ADA prohibits the segregation of
individuals with disabilities. Needlessly isolating such individuals,
the Court wrote, is a form of discrimination based on
disability-discrimination that perpetuates unwarranted assumptions about
their capabilities and their worthiness to participate in community
life.

- The Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law

How can we build an inclusive society with a collaborative network of
agencies aligned to deliver effective integrated services to people with
disabilities including individuals with psychiatric disabilities?

To assist people with disabilities, consumers, survivors, family
members, advocates, and health care/mental health providers to better
understand the rights of people with disabilities, the challenges posed
by the assertion of these rights, and the protections offered under the
law, the SAMHSA ADS Center invites you to a free training teleconference
titled "Building an Inclusive Society."

Register Today!

To learn more and to register, please
visit the following page: http://promoteacceptance.samhsa.gov/
<http://promoteacceptance.samhsa.gov/teleconferences/default.aspx>
teleconferences/default.aspx.
We encourage you to share this invitation with interested friends and
colleagues.

Please note: Registration will close
at 5:00 p.m., EDT, on Friday, June 25, 2010.

Date and Time

Tuesday, June 29, 2010
2:30 p.m.- 4:00 p.m., Eastern Daylight Savings Time (EDT)

Presenters

*    Henry Claypool-U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

*    Celia Brown-New York State Office of Mental Health Recipient
Affairs

*    Andy Imparato-American Association of People with Disabilities

Questions?

This training teleconference will include a question and answer session.
We invite you to submit questions at any time before or during the
teleconference. To submit questions before the teleconference, please
e-mail promoteacceptance at samhsa.hhs.gov. Speakers will answer as many
questions as possible during this session, but we cannot guarantee that
your question will be answered during the teleconference. We will
provide each presenter's contact information so that you may contact him
or her directly for a response or additional information.

Please note: You may submit anonymous questions. If you provide your
name and organization when submitting a question, we may use it during
the call.

Training Sponsor

This teleconference is sponsored by SAMHSA ADS Center, a project of the
Center for Mental Health Services (CMHS). CMHS is a center within the
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, U.S.
Department of Health and Human Services.