[NYAPRS Enews] DN: Morahan Returns as Senate MH Committee Chair

Harvey Rosenthal harveyr at nyaprs.org
Wed Jan 6 14:40:53 EST 2010

<http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dailypolitics/2010/01/sampson-succeeds
-with-two-gop.html> Sampson Succeeds With Two GOP Committee Chairs
(Updated) >

By Elizabeth Benjamin  New York Daily News  January 6, 2010

Senate Democratic Leader John Sampson quietly handed out two committee
chairmanships to Republican lawmakers this afternoon, marking an unusual
moment in the chamber's history with very little fanfare or fuss.

Sen. George Maziarz got the Energy Committee, which had been headed by
Sen. Darrel Aubertine, who will continue to head the Agriculture
Committee.

Sen. Tom Morahan got the Mental Health Committee, which was chaired by
Sen. Shirley Huntley. Huntley will chair the Cities Committee and also
be deputy majority leader for Federal and State Relations - a position
Sampson was holding along with his conference leader post.

Sen. Dan Squadron, who had been chairing the Cities Committee and doing
double-duty as co-chair of the Social Services Committee, is now solely
responsible for Social Services.

Sen. Velmanette Montgomery was chairing two committees - Children and
Families and Social Services. She now just has Children and Families.

These changes were made via a resolution handed up by Sampson. There was
no objection lodged on either side of the aisle.

A Republican source said neither Maziarz nor Morahan mentioned to their
colleagues during today's closed-door GOP conference that they planned
to accept Sampson's offer - an offer
<http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009/12/14/2009-12-14_dems_offering_lul
u_of_a_deal.html> originally extended to three members, but rejected by
the third, Sen. Joe Robach.

A fourth member, Sen. Vincent Leibell
<http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dailypolitics/2009/12/four-gop-senator
s-could-get-co.html> was also mentioned as a possible chairman
candidate, but talks never really got off the ground with him.

Senate Minority Leader Dean Skelos
<http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dailypolitics/2009/12/skelos-cool-to-b
ipartisan-comm.html> was less than thrilled to learn of Sampson's
bipartisan plans, but did not try to block today's appointments.

"They had their reasons for wanting to do this, so you'll really have to
speak to them," Skelos spokesman John McArdle told me. "Dean wanted
things done on a broader basis if there was doing to be bipartisanship."

UPDATE: Sampson spokesman Travis Proulx sent over the following
statement from the conference leader:

"Never before has it been more important for us to put partisanship
aside and renew our commitment to putting the people first. These are
thoughtful and principled senators who have worked with our members in
the past to implement smart policies that benefit all New Yorkers."

"They are also dedicated and engaged members of this Chamber who can
bridge the gap that crippled this body for too long. The steps we have
taken today will make the Senate a more bipartisan, and effective
institution for the people of New York."

<http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dailypolitics/2010/01/sampson-succeeds
-with-two-gop.html#ixzz0brUoviGX>