[NYAPRS Enews] MHW: March 24-6 ACMHA Conference Helps Leaders 'Chart the Course'

Harvey Rosenthal harveyr at nyaprs.org
Tue Feb 23 09:11:09 EST 2010

NYAPRS Note: As someone who's both learned so much from all of the
visionary national experts who are a part of ACMHA (the College for
Behavioral Health Leadership) over the past 4 years and is privileged to
be an ACMHA Board member, I'd like to encourage attendance at this
timely review of the future of behavioral health services in an era of
physical and behavioral health integration and mental health parity. See
below for details of free consumer scholarships generously provided by
SAMHSA and general registration forms and fees. See you in Santa Fe!

FROM THE FIELD

A New Era In Behavioral Health: Charting The Course

by Garrett E. Moran, Ph.D. and Laurie Alexander, Ph.D.

Mental Health Weekly February 22, 2010

We are in an era of dramatic change in behavioral health care. Health
care reform, parity regulations, and other changes with powerful
implications for the field are taking place in the context of major
reductions in state budgets.

These changes are unfolding along a timeline that will culminate soon.
By 2015, many  behavioral health leaders expect:

* We may be approaching universal health insurance coverage, including
dramatic expansion of the Medicaid program.

* Behavioral health parity and Medicare copayment parity will be fully
implemented;

* Use of electronic health records will be the norm.

*We'll see greater integration of physical and behavioral healthcare
delivery and a major

expansion of the federally qualified health center program.

* As baby boomers retire and the U.S. population grows more diverse,
cultural competence, health disparities, and workforce issues will
become even more pressing.

What are the implications of this sea change for consumers; families;
public and private providers; insurers; and county, state, and federal
governments?

How can we assure the values we treasure are reflected in our
communities and systems of care in 2015? Those are the urgent issues
we'll tackle together at ACMHA:The College for Behavioral Health
Leadership's 2010 Summit in Santa Fe,March 24-26.

The outstanding panel of plenary speakers will include:

* New Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
Administrator Pamela Hyde who will offer her perspective on what parity
and the other policy changes in Washington might mean for our future.

* Tom McLellan, deputy director of the Office of National Drug Control
Policy, who will talk about his vision of a future where treatment of
substance use disorders will be readily available in community health
clinics, and integrated health care will become the norm.

* National Council for Community Behavioral Healthcare (National
Council) Vice President Chuck Ingoglia who will provide a detailed,
up-to-the-minute summary of the current status of health reform efforts.

In addition to an impressive roster of expert speakers, the 2010 Summit
features significant time in facilitated discussion groups and moderated
plenary sessions to raise questions and share perspectives on issues
like:

* Reducing health disparities and ensuring cultural competence.

* Retaining a focus on recovery and resiliency in a context increasingly
driven by a medical model.

* Scaling up to meet the demands of near universal coverage.

* Attracting and retaining well-trained employees.

* Surviving in a radically changed reimbursement environment.

* Reconceptualizing the public behavioral health system in the context
of health reform.

This year's ACMHA Summit will emphasize creating a dialog between and
among members and expert presenters. All presenters are being asked to
stay for the full Summit and be available to answer questions and
participate in the discussion.

A carefully selected team of senior ACMHA leaders will act as moderators
for the plenary sessions and strive to ensure a lively and informative
interaction.

The format will move toward a discussion in the round and away from a
stage at the front of the room, in part in recognition that the strength
of ACMHA is the remarkable knowledge base of its members. We plan to
gauge participant reaction to the discussion in real time and set
priorities for which topics deserve deeper exploration.

Past ACMHA Summits have helped spark important developments in
behavioral health, such as the Institute of Medicine Quality Chasm
report on Mental and Substance Use Disorders and the Annapolis
Coalition. We hope this year's Summit will also initiate a process to
help our field chart new directions and build partnerships for a future
that will be quite unlike our past.

Please visit www.acmha.org to view the agenda and register for the
conference. Come to Santa Fe this March and let's work together to chart
behavioral health's future.

Garrett E. Moran, Ph.D., is associate director for Mental Health
Services Research at Westat in Rockville, Md. Westat is an
employee-owned corporation providing research services to agencies of
the U.S. Government, as well as businesses, foundations and state and
local governments.

Moran is also chair of ACMHA's 2010 Summit Planning Committee.

Laurie Alexander, Ph.D., is an independent consultant in Seattle, Wash.,
and chair of ACMHA's Communications Committee.

--------------

ACMHA Membership: Consumer Leader Scholarships Available for ACMHA
Summit

ACMHA: The College for Behavioral Health Leadership is pleased to
announce the availability of consumer leader scholarships for the 2010
ACMHA Summit "A New Era in Behavioral Health: Charting the Course."
Consumer administrators/leaders in mental health and/or the addiction
recovery fields are invited and encouraged to attend the Summit. Your
voices and ideas are integral to discussions of system change.

A limited number of scholarships are available for waiver of
registration fees and travel/lodging assistance. If you are a consumer
leader and cannot afford Summit fees or travel costs to Santa Fe, you
may apply for a scholarship. Additional information about the Summit and
scholarship requirements is included in the attached application.

Completed scholarship applications must be received via email or
postmarked by February 8, 2010 to be considered. All applicants will be

notified of final scholarship determinations when they have been made.

Information about the Summit is available on the ACMHA web site at
http://www.acmha.org/summit_agenda_2010.shtml. Thank you for your

interest in ACMHA.

----------

ACMHA Summit 2010: A New Era in Behavioral Health: Charting the Course

Santa Fe, NM     Wednesday - Friday, March 24 - 26, 2010!

Register at http://www.acmha.org/summit_registration_2010.cfm

The 2010 ACMHA Summit will be your navigational guide or GPS (Global
Positioning "Summit") for the shifting behavioral health landscape.
Inform, inspire, innovate, and interface with other behavioral health
leaders from across the nation to map the waypoints toward a successful
future for public and private behavioral healthcare. The 2010 Summit
emphasizes engagement, participation, and cultivation of ideas from
ACMHA members and other behavioral health leaders in attendance.
Essential information presented by informed, recognized speakers will be
balanced with group dialogue, spirited discussions, and
"course-charting" activities.

Both negative and positive forces are impacting the behavioral
healthcare system. Among the negatives are our uncertain economy and
rising healthcare costs; positive forces include gains in
recovery-infused approaches, interdisciplinary collaboration, and use of
innovative technologies for quality care.  In combination, such forces
influence behavioral health resources, business strategies, service
delivery approaches, and most importantly, the well-being of consumers
and families. Therefore, it is critical that behavioral health leaders
are actively involved in planning for the future. The ACMHA Summit is
your opportunity to take part in essential conversations and strategy
development that will help the behavioral health field navigate through
the potential impacts and adapt to a changing environment.  But more
than that, it is a potential direction-setting event with your
participation essential!

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

4:30 p.m.   Registration Opens

6:30p.m.    ACMHA Leadership Review

Open to all Summit attendees, a panel of mentors and learners from the
2009 class and participants in the Leadership Excellence Network (LENS)
share information about these projects and their experiences. Following
the panel presentation is a "dialogue in the round" with emerging and
senior leaders focused on leadership development, leadership transfer
and succession, and the role of emerging leaders in ACMHA.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

6:00 a.m.   Morning Walk/Run: Stay healthy! This is an opportunity to
meet early to run/walk with other attendees.

7:00 a.m.   Registration

7:30 a.m.   New Member Breakfast (By invitation)

Attention New ACMHA Members! The Board of Directors invites you to join
them for breakfast and conversation prior to the beginning of the day's
activities. Come and meet your colleagues and learn more about ACMHA
activities and initiatives.

7:30 a.m.   Breakfast Buffet

8:30 a.m.   ACMHA Welcome: Setting the Summit Context

The 2010 Summit emphasizes engagement, participation, and the critical
role of Summit attendees in addressing the provocative questions and
creating takeaway results. The strategic facilitation team that will
guide the Summit process of "charting the course" is introduced and the
context for upcoming presentations and discussions is shared.

    * Pamela Greenberg, MPP, Association for Behavioral Health and
Wellness, President, ACMHA: The College for Behavioral Health Leadership

    * Garrett Moran, PhD, Westat; Chair, ACMHA 2010 Summit

8:45 a.m.   Implications/Impact of Parity Legislation and Health Care
Reform for Behavioral Health: System Perspectives

National activities are impacting the future of behavioral health.
Speakers will share information and insights on health reform bill(s),
parity regulations and implementation, and Medicare parity, among other
topics. Whether a reform bill is final or not, the behavioral health
community must be focused on the issues at hand and preparing for the
future. This session provides necessary, current information on
behavioral health provisions in health reform bill(s) and parity
regulations to serve as a foundation for discussions throughout the day.

    * A. Thomas McLellan, PhD, Deputy Director, White House Office of
National Drug Control Policy (invited)

    * Chuck Ingoglia, MSW, National Council for Community Behavioral
Healthcare

10:00 a.m.         Break

10:30 a.m.         Shaping the Future of Health Care

Time for dialogue! As the future of health care continues to be debated
and shaped, what are the critical issues that affect the behavioral
health field and what questions must be asserted and answered?  Led by
experienced moderators, attendees discuss the national developments just
presented and identify the critical issues/questions for behavioral
health that require strategic solutions (e.g., Are we ready? How do we
get ready? What do we preserve as we move forward and what challenges
must we address?)

Discussion Moderators

    * Andy Sekel, PhD, OptumHealth  & Vijay Ganju, PhD, Consultant

    * Ron Manderscheid, PhD, National Association of County Behavioral
Health And Developmental Disability Directors & Kana Enomoto, Substance
Abuse and Mental Health Administration

    * Gail Robinson, PhD, Abt Associates & Stephanie Oprendek, PhD,
California Institute for Mental Health

    * Bill Hudock, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration &
Deborah Fickling, NM Human Services Department

    * Vivian Jackson, PhD, ACSW, LICSW, Georgetown University & Harvey
Rosenthal, NY Association of Psychiatric Rehabilitation Services

    * David Shern, PhD, Mental Health America & Christopher Wilkins,
MHA, Loyola Recovery Foundation

12:00 p.m.         Luncheon - The Role of SAMHSA in Charting the Course

    * Pamela S. Hyde, JD, Administrator, Substance Abuse and Mental
Health Services Administration

    * Host, Pamela Greenberg, MPP, Association for Behavioral Health and
Wellness, President, ACMHA: The College for Behavioral Health Leadership

1:30 p.m.   Debating the Critical Questions

Summit participants begin to chart the course for the new era in
behavioral health. Building on morning discussions and the critical
issues/questions that arose from those dialogues, the facilitation team
works with attendees to frame the issues/questions developed in the
morning session within a strategic planning context as the group
continues to debate critical questions and begin building associated
solutions/answers.

Strategic Facilitation Team

    * Colette Croze, MSW, Croze Consulting

    * Allen Daniels, LISW, EdD, Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance

    * Dick Dougherty, PhD, DMA Health Strategies

    * Jeannette Harrison, MSW, Consultant

    * Gail Hutchings, MPA, Behavioral Health Policy Collaborative

    * John Morris, MSW, Technical Assistance Collaborative, Inc.

3:00 p.m.   ACMHA 2010 Mentorship Program Kick-off ACMHA Research
Interest Group Meeting Free Time to Explore Santa Fe

5:00 p.m.   ACMHA Reception Collaborate and enjoy! Join colleagues at
the close of the business day for hors d' oeuvres and ongoing
conversation. A brief program will include introductions of the ACMHA
Board of Directors, honor outgoing board members, and recognize Summit
sponsors.

6:30 p.m.   Dinner at Leisure

Thursday, March 25, 2010

7:30 a.m.   Breakfast Buffet

8:30 a.m.   Taking Action to Address Global Problems

Planning and action are essential! In these rapidly changing times, what
are we doing to respond? Speakers share concrete examples of actions and
solutions to address the critical issues/questions explored the previous
day. Summit attendees will use this foundational information as a point
of departure for the day's discussions regarding necessary changes to
public, private, and business sectors. Speakers will explore the steps
states, counties, organizations, and communities are taking to survive
and thrive in a different fiscal environment; how the behavioral health
benefit is being addressed by employers and others from a business
perspective; what businesses see as the impact of legislative changes in
health reform and parity; what it might mean to have broader or near
universal coverage including a behavioral health benefit; how
organizations at all levels (consumer, provider, local, state, national)
will need to collaborate and coordinate if we are to care for the whole
person; and the impact new collaborations will have on the various
organizational cultures and value systems.

    * Dale Jarvis, CPA, MCPP Healthcare Consulting

    * Kathy Reynolds, LMSW, ACSW, National Council for Community
Behavioral Healthcare

    * Ron Finch, EdD, National Business Group on Health

    * Wilma Townsend, MSW, WLT Consulting, LLC (invited)

    * Edward Jones, PhD, ValueOptions

10:30 a.m.         Break

11:00 a.m.         Crafting Solutions and Approaches

Solution focused! Group discussions build on the example solutions
presented in the previous session.  Working within the strategic
framework initiated on Wednesday, attendees identify goals, priorities,
and beginning points for change and successful leadership. Examples of
areas for exploration include:

    * How do we address the increased demand for services?

    * How do we lead? How do we collaborate across a broader system?

    * What do we do with the workforce shortage that seems to be
growing?

    * How can we leverage health information technology?

    * How can we improve equity of access and cultural competence of
services?

    * With decreasing resources, how do we work smarter and better with
what we have instead of only holding up our hands asking for more?

Discussion Moderators

12:00 p.m.         Awards Luncheon

ACMHA will honor four individuals with The Saul Feldman Lifetime
Achievement Award, The Barton Distinguished Fellow Award, The Timothy J.
Coakley Prize for Consumer Leadership, and The King Davis Award for
Emerging Leadership in Promoting Diversity and Reducing Disparities.

    * Host: Ron Manderscheid, PhD, National Association of County
Behavioral Health And Developmental Disability Directors;
President-Elect, ACMHA: The College for Behavioral Health Leadership

1:30 p.m.   Creating an Action Matrix

Mapping the waypoints. Building on discussions to date and ideas
generated from those dialogues, what specific actions must we add to the
strategic planning we have begun? During the session the facilitation
team, moderators, and participants associate solutions and actions
developed through discussion with previously developed questions and
issues - creating a "matrix" of potential local responses/solutions to
the broad issues.

Strategic Facilitation Team

3:00 p.m. ACMHA Emerging Leader Interest Group Meeting  ACMHA Diversity
Interest Group Meeting  Free Time to Explore Santa Fe

5:00 p.m.   Open Evening/Dinner at Leisure

Friday, March 26, 2010

7:30 a.m.   Breakfast Buffet

9:00 a.m.   Developing Your Strategic Plan

Taking it home! Beginning with a visual overview from the strategic
facilitation team, the group is provided a distillation of the work done
Wednesday and Thursday - an overarching strategic plan to guide
individual actions for any attendee post-Summit. Through moderated
discussion, the team assists each individual to craft their "own"
strategic plan. Taking from the action-oriented ideas and forward
thinking generated, individuals can pull the parts that are good
beginning steps/continuation of activities to address in their own
communities.

Strategic Facilitation Team

11:30 a.m.         Summit Adjourns