[NYAPRS Enews] BasicNeeds US Needs Your Support

Harvey Rosenthal harveyr at nyaprs.org
Tue Dec 21 08:57:58 EST 2010

NYAPRS Note: Thanks to a generous donation by OptumHealth, NYAPRS and NYS-based peer run organizations will be partnering with BasicNeeds to help provide support next year to our brothers and sisters with psychiatric disabilities in Ghana. consider making a contribution today.

 BN five users<http://img-ak.verticalresponse.com/media/1/7/4/174c173080/54387c3874/0a4251941b/library/BN%20five%20users.jpg?__nocache__=1>

Many of our lives have been touched in some way by mental illnesses. Thankfully, however, most of us do not know the devastating hardship faced by poor people with these illnesses who are living in parts of the world without access to medical treatment of any kind. It is not uncommon in parts of Africa and Asia to find people with mental disorders or epilepsy chained to a tree, banished from their communities, or badly beaten. Often this is the result of desperate attempts by loved ones to protect an ill family member in the absence of accessible and appropriate treatment.

BasicNeeds is transforming lives, with striking success in Ghana, Tanzania, Uganda, Kenya, India, Sri Lanka, Laos, Vietnam, and Nepal. We have reached approximately 80,000 people with mental illness and epilepsy in the world’s poorest communities, providing access to integrated health, social and economic services. In 2009, BasicNeeds’ enabled 87% of those in treatment to work, attend school, or contribute productively to their households and communities. BasicNeeds currently supports 659 user groups, providing social networks, livelihood support, and advocacy platforms for 18,483 users and their caregivers. We work hand-in-hand with individuals and families, community health workers, local primary health clinics, government agencies, and other NGOs. We ask you to support our mission - to enable people with mental illness or epilepsy to live and work successfully in their own communities.

BasicNeeds’ is building a movement for mental health and development. Our efforts are gaining momentum as success is felt by more and more individuals - those delivering services and those receiving services. The needs of people with mental illnesses in the developing world are coming into focus as the global health community increasingly recognizes vital connections to HIV/AIDS, women’s health, human rights, and disaster/conflict response.  BasicNeeds has a proven and scalable model of mental health and development for serving large numbers of people in the community.

We are writing to ask for your support to expand our programs and advocacy in resource poor settings around the world.  One’s chances for such success should not be encumbered by income or geography.  Rather, mental health should be a common dignity, an essential human right.  This holiday season, please make a gift to BasicNeeds US at the address below or on our secure web site so that we can continue to transform lives and attitudes in the poorest communities in the world.

With sincere gratitude and warm wishes for the holiday season,

                Richard H. Dougherty                                           Charlotte Perry Dougherty

President                                                    Executive Director

BasicNeeds US       9 Meriam Street, Suite 4       Lexington, MA  02420       781.863.8018

 five pictures second option 2<http://img-ak.verticalresponse.com/media/1/7/4/174c173080/54387c3874/0a4251941b/library/five%20pictures%20second%20option%202.jpg?__nocache__=1>

Please Donate - www.BasicNeedsUS.org <http://cts.vresp.com/c/?BasicNeedsUSInc./54387c3874/7426a5f688/bac2ee7e3b/utm_content=harveyr%40nyaprs.org&utm_source=VerticalResponse&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=www%2EBasicNeedsUS%2Eorg&utm_campaign=BasicNeeds%20US%20needs%20your%20support>

IRS 501(c)(3) - DLN 17053049007029

 bn_logo<http://img-ak.verticalresponse.com/media/1/7/4/174c173080/54387c3874/0a4251941b/library/bn_logo.JPG?__nocache__=1>