[NYAPRS Enews] DN: Paterson to Convene Nov 10 Session

Harvey Rosenthal harveyr at nyaprs.org
Mon Oct 26 09:47:40 EDT 2009

GOVERNOR PATERSON TO CONVENE SPECIAL SESSION OF LEGISLATURE TO ADDRESS
CURRENT-YEAR DEFICIT
Will Hold Public Leaders Meeting Discuss State's Fiscal Health
Asks to Speak Before a Joint Session of Legislature

Governor David A. Paterson today announced that he will call the
Legislature back for a special session to address the current-year
deficit and additional legislation that was not finished at the end of
session last June. The Governor is calling for an extraordinary session
on November 10.
Governor Paterson also announced that he will hold a public leaders
meeting on October 29, in New York City. In addition, the Governor has
asked the leaders of the Senate and Assembly to convene a joint-session
on November 9, in Albany, so that he can address the Legislature in
advance of the special session and outline the steps that the State must
take to ensure its long-term fiscal stability.
"In this fiscal crisis, we cannot afford to delay action or continue
spending at our current rate. The Deficit Reduction Plan, while painful,
calls for the necessary sacrifices we need to keep our State afloat,"
Governor Paterson said. "My colleagues and I have met to discuss how we
can lessen the impact that these reductions will have on all New Yorkers
- but the surest way to mitigate the pain is to act now. I look forward
to working with my partners in government to reach a consensus approach
to closing our current- and out-year shortfalls."
Governor Paterson's two-year, $5 billion DRP would have a current-year
impact of $3 billion in 2009-10 and a recurring impact of $2 billion in
2010-11. The components include across-the-board spending reductions and
a tax penalty forgiveness program. The DRP also makes structural reforms
to the pension system and proposes a cap on State spending, both of
which would yield long-term taxpayers savings.

--------

Gov. Paterson Wants Lawmakers Back Nov. 10 To Fix Budget

BY Ken Lovett <http://www.nydailynews.com/authors/Ken%20Lovett>  DAILY
NEWS ALBANY BUREAU CHIEF  October 26th 2009

ALBANY <http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Albany>  - Gov. Paterson
<http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/David+Paterson>  has set Nov. 10 as
the day he wants the Legislature to return to fill a projected $3
billion budget gap and act on a bill to legalize gay marriage.

Paterson announced he has asked the Legislature to return so he can
address them in a rare joint session about the state's dire fiscal
condition.

"In this fiscal crisis, we cannot afford to delay action or continue
spending at our current rate," Paterson said.

The governor has proposed more than $1 billion in health care and
midyear school aid cuts he said are needed to fill a projected $3
billion deficit in this year's budget.

Assembly Democrats, led by Speaker Sheldon Silver
<http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Sheldon+Silver> , say they recognize
the extent of the crisis and are prepared to make many of the painful
cuts Paterson has proposed.

They fear that putting off the decisions will only lead to more massive
cuts next year.

Senate Democrats
<http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/New+York+State+Senate> , who have
scheduled hearings on the plan starting today, are not yet onboard.

Read more:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009/10/26/2009-10-26_gov_wants_lawmaker
s_back_nov_9_to_fix_budget.html?print=1&page=all#ixzz0V37mR862

-----------

Paterson To Convene Special Budget Session

By: NY1 News  October 25, 2009

Governor David Paterson announced Sunday that he is convening the state
Legislature on November 10 to address New York's growing budget deficit.

Before the extraordinary legislative session, Paterson is holding a
public leaders meeting in the city this Thursday.

The governor will address the leaders of the State Senate and Assembly
on November 9 in Albany to outline what he feels the state needs to do
to ensure long-term fiscal stability.

Earlier this month, Paterson called for a $3 billion deficit reduction
plan for next year's budget and another $2 billion for 2011.

The largest component of his plan is the $1.3 billion in cuts to local
assistance, which includes transportation, social services, health care
and mental hygiene, $287 million in Medicaid cuts and $480 million in
education cuts.

Other unfinished legislation from the last session in June will also be
on the agenda, including gay marriage.

http://ny1.com/1-all-boroughs-news-content/top_stories/107896/paterson-t
o-convene-special-budget-session