[NYAPRS Enews] Correction: 'TK' Simon Remembered As Pioneering MH Advocate

Matt Canuteson MattC at nyaprs.org
Thu Mar 19 09:54:49 EDT 2009

Correction: We apologize for a mistake in the original "NYAPRS Note"
below. The note should have read TK Simon, not TK Small.

Matt Canuteson

NYAPRS Note: With the passing of Western New York's TK Simon, we have
lost another pioneering peer leader and advocate. The following comes
courtesy of Tammy Querns of the MHA in Cattaraugus County who adds that
"TK was a champion for mental health who wasn't afraid to speak up and
did so tirelessly. She will be missed but not forgotten."

Unsung Heroes: 'TK' Simon Remembered As Mental Health Advocate

By Rick Miller  Olean Times Herald  March 17, 2009

Theresa "TK" Simon was a mental health advocate before there was a
description for what she did.

Family and friends gathered Monday morning at St. Joseph's Church on
North Fourth Street to say good-bye to Ms. Simon, who was 58. She died
Friday at Olean General Hospital after battling cancer for the past six
months.

Ms. Simon lived with mental illness for nearly 40 years, and about 30
years ago became one of the first peer advocates, speaking up for others
with mental illness and cajoling officials to expand mental health
services.

"She was the voice of those who couldn't speak for themselves," said
Joann McAndrew, executive director of the Cattaraugus County Mental
Health Association, who knew Ms. Simon for 35 years. "There wasn't
anyone she wouldn't help

Dawn Miller, director of Cattaraugus County Community Services, who knew
Ms. Simon for the past five years, said she will remember "her courage
to speak out. She helped professionals from her perspective as a (mental
health services) consumer."

Her good friend, Dr. Pat Weugraff, a psychologist, spoke at her funeral.
She said Ms. Simon was a tireless advocate for the mentally ill. She
began to exhibit symptoms of mental illness at age 18, which "took 10
years of her life." When she began to get her mental illness under
control, "she had a sense of mission few of us have. Kathy was at the
cutting edge" in helping push for mental health programs in Cattaraugus
County."

Dr. Weugraff added, "In the months and years to come, Kathy's name will
be remembered. In all my years (of counseling), I don't think I touched
as many people as she did."

Even in her last fight, the one against the ravages of cancer, "she was
a fighter - so tenacious she wouldn't give up," he said. "She asked
questions" of doctors regarding her cancer drugs."

Dr. Weugraff said Ms. Simon saw it as her job "to help the poor, needy
and mentally ill. The dream will only end the way you want it to,"
urging those in the church "to contribute and to advocate."

Russell Hahn, who was co-chairman of the Mental Health Subcommittee of
the Community Services Board, said he will "remember her passion and
determination to make life better for people. She did not see
obstacles." He said he will miss "her passion to hold the system
accountable. She often played the role of our conscience."

Ms. Simon played a big part in peer advocacy in Cattaraugus County,
which occurred much quicker in the mental health field here than he said
he would have expected. Partly because of her, the county's mental
health services are often cutting edge.

Father Joseph Akiki, St. Joseph's Church pastor, said, "TK is going to
be missed by all of us here - especially her family. She was a
wonderful, wonderful person - outside and inside. She was like a candle,
burning herself for others. She was compassionate - she helped others,
and guided them and supported them - especially those with mental
impairments."

Much of the past six months Ms. Simon spent preparing herself
spiritually, he said. She asked for help and asked for miracles. We
prayed together and cried a bit. As strong as she is, she kept going,
kept smiling and kept hoping she would have that miracle. She is having
that miracle in heaven."

The Rev. Akiki said, "She dedicated her life to helping the community -
especially people with mental illness. We are going to miss her."

Two years ago, she was recognized in Albany for her efforts as a mental
health advocate, and last Dec. 10, she received a certificate from the
Cattaraugus County Legislature for her longtime advocacy efforts for the
mentally ill.

http://www.oleantimesherald.com/articles/2009/03/17/news/doc49bff81284ed
4018156266.txt

Express your personality in color! Preview and select themes for
Hotmail(r). See how.
<http://www.windowslive-hotmail.com/LearnMore/personalize.aspx?ocid=TXT_
MSGTX_WL_HM_express_032009#colortheme>