[NYAPRS Enews] Stories Needed! We Can Work Campaign Looking For Employment Success Stories; Oct. 27th Deadline!

Matt Canuteson MattC at nyaprs.org
Fri Oct 24 08:46:37 EDT 2008

Build Hope! Inspire Action!

Tell Your Story!

People from across New York State will be selected to share inspiring
stories of overcoming challenges, gaining hope, and achieving
employment. Your story may be selected to be part of the WE Can Work DVD
or stories series online. There are thousands of New Yorkers with
psychiatric disabilities waiting for our message of hope. Share your
story!

SEND US YOUR STORY BY:

OCTOBER 27th, 2008  TO PARTICIPATE IN OUR DVD!

HOW CAN I SUBMIT MY STORY?

Read the questions below to help you organize and submit your story...

IN WRITING

Write your story in 2 pages  or less

IN AUDIO OR VIDEO

* Record your voice or video in no more than 10 minutes

* Send us a Windows media file or a recorded CD/DVD

DEADLINE FOR DVD STORIES:

OCTOBER 27TH, 2008

When and where will the DVD be filmed?

Eight people from across New York State will be selected for the WE Can
Work DVD. The DVD shooting will take place on December  5th 2008 in
Albany (people wanting to participate must be available on the date of
the shooting). WE Can Work will cover travel expenses for selected
participants.

Join WE Can Work and submit your story for our DVD or stories online.

More information?

Contact:

Oscar Jimenez

WE Can Work

One Columbia Place

Albany, NY 12207

Tel: (518) 436-8880

email: oscarj at nyaprs.org <mailto:oscarj at nyaprs.org>

What should I share in my WE Can Work Story?

Here are some questions that may help you organize your ideas when
writing or telling your story.

You don't have to follow them exactly.

How did you become unemployed? What happened?

Did you ever lose hope that you would be able to have a meaningful job?
If so, what made you lose hope? Did anyone or anything discourage you
from working?

How did being unemployed affect your life?

For how long were you unemployed? How was it being unemployed?

How did you come to believe that you could work again?

Did you see it in others? Did someone tell you that you could work? What
gave you hope?

What barriers did you have in pursuing and obtaining employment?

What made it difficult for you to go back to work?
What did you do to overcome the barriers you experienced?

What resources did you use to be able to pursue employment?

Did you use any work incentives and supports? Medicaid Buy-In? Ticket to
Work? Supported employment?

What other resources/ supports in your community did you tap into? Your
peers? Counselors? Local organizations? Your faith?

How has pursuing or obtaining meaningful work impacted your recovery and
quality of life?

How is your life now that you are working? How has your work or prospect
of it brought meaning to your life? How does it feel to have returned to
work?  What can you do now that you are working that you could not do
before?

What suggestions/tips do you have for someone wanting to go back to
work?

Do you have any tips or suggestions for others who are trying to go back
to work? Do you have any tips/ suggestions about keeping a job and
staying physically, emotionally, and spiritually healthy?

IMPORTANT!

When sending your story, make sure to include your:

* Name and last name

* Contact information: your mailing address, your phone number or the
phone of someone close to you (if you don't have a personal phone), and
your email address (if available).

* Age, gender and ethnicity (optional, but would help us assure
diversity)

When and where will the DVD be filmed?

The DVD shooting will take place in December of 2008 in Albany or
another nearby location. WE Can Work will cover travel expenses.