[NYAPRS Enews] MJ: Ohio Supreme Court Justice Pushes For Mental Health Courts

Matt Canuteson MattC at nyaprs.org
Mon Oct 6 08:46:39 EDT 2008

Ohio Supreme Court Justice Pushes For Mental Health Courts

By Michael D. Pitman Middletown Journal Saturday, October 04, 2008

FAIRFIELD - Ohio Supreme Court Justice Evelyn Lundberg Stratton has been
a national and state advocate for mental health dockets for seven years.

The justice spoke to the Fairfield Rotary Club on Friday, Oct. 3, about
that advocacy, and how she received help from then-Akron Municipal Judge
Elinor Stormer and Butler County Common Pleas Court Judge Michael Sage,
two judges who had established a mental health docket in Ohio.

"It sounded like a much better way to deal with this problem," Stratton
said.

With Stormer, Sage and a handful of others, they first met seven years
ago to form the Advisory Committee on Mental Illness and the Courts with
no funding and little more than her clout as an Ohio Supreme Court
justice.

"There seems to be a better way to deal with this, I don't want to study
this ... there's already a study that tells us this," she said. "I want
action."

When her initiative started, there were six mental health dockets in the
country, two in Ohio. Today, there are about 140 dockets nationwide - 32
of which are in Ohio.

Stratton has referred to the current prison and jail system as "the de
facto mental health system of our day."

Stratton realized the problems as a trial court judge in Franklin
County, she said.

"Our system was very fractured. Mental health wouldn't take them if they
had a felony. Drug and alcohol wouldn't take them if they had mental
health issues," she said. "Often I would put them in prison because I
had no place else to put them thinking foolishly they might get better
care and treatment, then I found out later jails and prisons are
woefully inadequate to take care of them."

http://www.middletownjournal.com/hp/content/oh/story/news/local/2008/10/
04/hjn100408stratton.html