[NYAPRS Enews] Alert: Call Albany May 19th to Extend PTSD Coverage Under Timothy's Law

Matt Canuteson MattC at nyaprs.org
Thu May 15 15:50:58 EDT 2008

NYAPRS Note: One of NYAPRS members' remaining top advocacy priorities
for this year is the campaign to expand Timothy's Law mental health
parity protections to ensure that New Yorkers with post traumatic stress
disorders get the counseling and support they need and deserve. This is
especially timely for our returning veterans and for victims of sexual
abuse and domestic violence. Since opposition to this measure by the
insurers has been rather strong, we need hundreds of calls next Monday
to help move state leaders to pass this measure. Please do your part and
forward this to ten more in your circle!

CALL ALBANY MAY 19TH 2008!

URGE ASSEMBLY SPEAKER SHELDON SILVER AND SENATE MAJORITY LEADER JOSEPH
BRUNO TO PASS A.10078/S.6818

(An Amendment to Timothy's Law to Include Coverage of PTSD Treatment)

Call for Greater Access to PTSD Treatment for Our Veterans, Domestic
Violence and Sexual Assault Survivors!

The NYS Legislature approved Timothy's Law in 2006, the law did not
cover Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).

Post traumatic stress disorder is a biologically based mental illness
caused by the personal experience of a catastrophic traumatic (often
life threatening) event. With New York veterans returning home from war
and victims of sexual assault and child abuse around the state, it is
increasingly evident that PTSD inclusion is needed to address these
underserved groups. Please help us by calling New York's leaders and
urging them to pass this legislation.

Make Your Call on Monday May 19TH TO

Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver: 518-455-3791

"I'm a registered voter asking you to pass A.10078, an amendment to
Timothy's Law that would add PTSD to the list of biologically based
illnesses"

Senate Majority Leader Joseph Bruno: 518-455-3191

"I'm a registered voter asking you to pass S.6818, an amendment to
Timothy's Law that would add PTSD to the list of biologically based
illnesses"

Questions:

Matt Canuteson at mattc at nyaprs.org <mailto:mattc at nyaprs.org>
518-542-0655