[NYAPRS Enews] New Stats Underscore Need for OASAS Prevention, Treatment, Recovery Strategy

Harvey Rosenthal harveyr at nyaprs.org
Mon Mar 10 12:09:57 EDT 2008

Federal Drug-Alcohol Report Underscores Need In New York
OASAS Commissioner Cites Prevention, Treatment, Recovery Strategy

ALBANY -- Federal figures released today on substance abuse in the
United States underscore the critical need for prevention, treatment and
recovery services in New York state, New York State Office of Alcoholism
and Substance Abuse Commissioner Karen M. Carpenter-Palumbo said.

The report was issued by the federal Substance Abuse and Mental Health
Services Administration (SAMHSA), providing data on all 50 states and
the District of Columbia and is available at
http://www.oas.samhsa.gov/2k6state/toc.cfm.

"Clearly, the issues facing our state and nation in alcohol and drug
addiction call for strong strategies that will provide measurable
results," Commissioner Carpenter-Palumbo said. "As Governor Spitzer has
directed, we are working to address these issues by putting people first
in our partnership with more than 1,550 prevention and treatment
providers across the state."

In this past year, OASAS set forth on a strategy for prevention,
treatment and recovery that incorporates a series of metrics that will
foster system-wide improvements with measurable outcomes in the
addictions field .

The metrics are based on five destinations, or goals, including
decreasing the negative influences of addiction, implementing
evidence-based practices and a Gold Standard of treatment, leading the
state and nation in raising awareness, managing talent in the addictions
field so that it is recognized as a "profession of choice," and
maintaining sound fiscal responsibility.

SAMSHA figures for New York estimated that close to 1.4 million New
Yorkers over the age of 12 are dealing with alcohol or drug problems, a
figure which actually under-represents the magnitude of the problem,
said Commissioner Carpenter-Palumbo.

Because of the techniques used in gathering the federal figures, OASAS
researchers said the federal figures do not capture all populations in
New York that OASAS surveys do, and that the prevalence rate of alcohol
and drug addiction in New York is actually 1.8 million.

The report issued today serves each state and the data will help
tremendously in addressing these problems as OASAS researchers assess
the comprehensive report, Commissioner Carpenter-Palumbo said, adding,
"We are very committed to continue collaborating with our federal
partners, sharing information, strategies and best practices."

OASAS oversees one of the nation's largest addiction services systems
with more than 1,550 programs which treat 110,000 New Yorkers on any
given day for drug, alcohol or gambling addictions. A 24-hour help line
is available at 1-800-522-5353 or on the OASAS web site,
www.OASAS.state.ny.us.