[NYAPRS Enews] Budget Zap, Call Your Legislators Today to Protect Local Services!

Kelly Adams kellya at nyaprs.org
Mon Aug 18 15:56:19 EDT 2008

Below is a copy of an alert we sent this morning to every state legislator this morning, on the eve of their return to consider further state budget cuts. Over the past weeks and into today, NYAPRS is focusing our efforts to urge state legislators to forego additional local cuts that could undo the local community mental health services safety net and further hurt the critically important efforts of our members.

There appears to be some support in both houses for leaving further local cuts off the table….but we won’t rest until this special session is over.

YOU CAN HELP! CALL YOUR STATE LEGISLATORS TODAY AND URGE THEM TO REJECT THE GOVERNOR’S PROPOSAL TO CUT LOCAL SERVICES BY AN ADDITIONAL 6%!

CALL YOUR STATE SENATOR AT 518-455-2800

CALL YOUR STATE ASSEMBLY MEMBER AT 518-455-4100

To find your representative go to VOTESMART.org

Type zip code in left corner of screen

If you don’t know your 9 digit zip,

Type in 5 digit zip, then go to right side of screen where it says don’t know your 9 digit zip code

Then look for current officials.

AND LEAVE THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE:

“Recent state cuts to local mental health services are undoing the safety net: I’m a registered voter calling from (your locality) urging you to reject any more local mental health cuts!

RECENT 2% LOCAL CUTS HAVE HURT LOCAL MENTAL HEALTH SAFETY NETS:

DON’T CUT LOCAL SERVICES AGAIN!

The New York Association of Psychiatric Rehabilitation Services (NYAPRS) represents a partnership of thousands of New Yorkers with psychiatric disabilities and the professionals who support them in over 100 localities across New York, offering a broad array of critically needed rehabilitation, treatment, support, housing, employment and crisis services.

We are both the people who rely on that safety net and the providers who make up that net with a patchwork of services that are specially selected to fit each locality by those communities.

Several months ago, the state cut local services by 2% and the results are just being felt by programs that have long stretched their on-the-edge funding to meet the growing and more complex needs they face.

The 2% cuts are not only wiping out the recently approved cost of living increase for the overburdened workforce, they cut deeply into vital services in the safety net.

Some examples include threatening cuts to:

·         An innovative emergency room diversion program in Westport

·         A popular consumer run drop in program in Geneva

·         A cut to a highly acclaimed Compeer program in Elmira

·         A loss of vocational services in Newburgh to an agency with mounting mileage reimbursement costs that could jeopardize visits and support to people in need in rural areas

·         A drop in homeless prevention services in Buffalo

·         A decreased capacity to offer case management services in Glens Falls

·         A serious hit to children’s services in Binghamton

·         More cuts to a Niagara Falls agency that already has had to fundraise over $400,000 dollars to fund homeless shelter, food pantry and soup kitchen services for which no public funds currently exist

·         A serious hit to a Syracuse based rehab center that has done exemplary work in helping people stay out of hospitals and detox centers and to get and keep community housing and employment

Especially during difficult fiscal times, state leaders must maintain their commitment to protect safety net services for our most vulnerable citizens. We must have a more balanced strategy that avoids causing more pain and cost in the long run. Weakening critical supports will drive people to emergency, shelter, hospital and forensic settings that are ultimately far more costly to people with disabilities and taxpayers alike.

For more details, contact us at 518-436-0008

Looking for a car that's sporty, fun and fits in your budget? Read reviews on AOL Autos <http://autos.aol.com/cars-Volkswagen-Jetta-2009/expert-review?ncid=aolaut00030000000007> .