[NYAPRS Enews] Wellstone Alert: Call Senate to Strengthen Parity Bill to Ptotect Stronger State Laws

Harvey Rosenthal harveyr at nyaprs.org
Fri Jun 8 09:59:51 EDT 2007

NYAPRS Note: The following comes from our Timothy's Law Campaign here in
New York, which successfully achieved passage last year of expanded
mental health insurance coverage which must not be threatened by pending
federal mental health parity legislation: call your US Senators today!

>From David Wellstone: Urgent Memo on Mental Health Parity

I'm here in Washington, DC right now working hard to see that my Dad's
dream of mental health fairness in finally achieved this year.

Today I heard from Senators that the Senate version of the mental health
parity bill (S. 558)  may move forward quickly, so I need your help now.
The Senate parity bill is good, but we think it can be stronger before
it passes.

There are two important positive changes that make this bill stronger:

*	When passed, this federal law would override any existing state
laws.  The Senate bill must protect existing state laws that provide
even better coverage for mental illness.
*	For this bill to provide true parity in coverage, it must
broaden the range of mental illnesses that are covered in the law.

I need you to call both your U.S. Senators now and tell them to
strengthen the mental health parity bill (S. 558) by protecting stronger
state laws and covering all mental illness, and then pass it!

Act now!  Connect directly to your Senator's office by calling the
Senate switchboard at 202-224-3121